A more cynical person might say the media frenzy
by KnightlyRevue (2020-05-06 11:10:48)
Edited on 2020-06-03 22:40:31

In reply to: After his dad died?  posted by DBCooper

was caused by MJ himself with the bravado around all of the gambling and leaving his team to go to Atlantic City to gamble being down 2-0 to the Knicks. His father dying obviously played a factor but not enough of one to stop playing sports altogether. Is that selfish?

Look, I know some people want their heroes to be without warts. I said in the first post that I love Jordan and all he did for the city of Chicago. I recognize him as the greatest player of my generation, and even though I like Magic more, its not a close in my opinion and I will rely on Magic's own words "Michael Jordan is the most talented player I have ever seen...by far."

Having said that, there are moments where Michael's insatiable need to be right and invent boogeymen who are against him have made him seem petty and bitter. Go see his hall of fame speech...it's bizarre. Who uses that moment to settle old scores from high school? Scores that no one in their right mind would say that you lost? Michael seems to be comfortable calling out everyone's warts but his own. He lacks a fundamental empathy in certain situations. I feel the documentary has shown that side of him.

I guess I don't know what people are arguing? That Scottie is more selfish than Michael? Uh, ok. There is evidence of that (1.4 seconds is all I have to say) but I also think the original argument that Michael seems like an eternal petty grudge holder is also true.