Coach K trending on Twitter due to allegations related to
by TAR (2020-05-10 17:08:38)

Zion and/or his people receiving impermissible benefits to entice him to attend Duke.

I'm curious as to why the IRS has no interest.
by 84david  (2020-05-11 16:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are talking about hundreds of thousands of unreported and untaxed income, per person. This is why people like Bilas sound ridiculous saying "so what, they just broke dumb NCAA rules." Isn't it felony tax evasion?

IRS may be awaiting more info or a verdict, but yes,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-11 17:21:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they should be interested.

I would imagine the top 15-25 are all paid various amounts
by mocopdx  (2020-05-10 21:07:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be naive to think otherwise. It’s not just Duke, it’s all of the top programs. I don’t think the head coaches are intimately involved, but I assume they know and just turn blind eyes. It’s very easy to funnel it all through bag men and claim innocence. College basketball recruiting is an absolute cess pool.

They absolutely know
by HTownND  (2020-05-12 11:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But have done a good job (except Self at Kansas) to put enough layers between themselves and the bag men to claim innocence and let other people be fall guys.

They aren't dumb, but they absolutely are involved, just in a way that makes it easy to distance when it goes bad.

Self is going to get hammered though.

Yeah, the family had a lot of buffers. *
by PWK2  (2020-05-12 17:17:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

re: Self, you think so?
by mocopdx  (2020-05-12 16:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope you're right but I have no faith in the shitshow that is the NCAA. Also I thought if anyone was screwed it was Archie Miller?

I think Archie
by HTownND  (2020-05-12 17:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will eventually get toppled.

The NCAA allegations against KU are no joke. I know people don't love the NCAA, and they are wildly inconsistent. But the notice of allegations and information is going to be tough to overcome, they are suggesting a show cause for Self. That's not f'ing around type stuff, even for the NCAA.

Archie Miller more likely to be toppled than Sean? *
by Ajax  (2020-05-12 18:31:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry, I meant Sean.
by mocopdx  (2020-05-12 20:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whatever happened to all that Arizona stuff? It seemed like pretty solid and damning evidence.

Exactly right, what happened? Miller was literally saying
by DomerJon  (2020-05-13 22:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Goodbye to fans at end of the 18-19 season. He knew he was screwed and then he wakes up and eh everything's okay guys were still making millions! NCAA is a farce.

I think it's much more than 15-25 *
by civil_engr05  (2020-05-11 14:39:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eh, I don't know about that.
by mocopdx  (2020-05-11 15:41:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe I'm being naive now, but I don't think the boosters are paying someone ranked, say 47th. I imagine the only ones worth paying are the future lottery picks or guys you know could single-handedly boost you to a Final Four. Past the top 25 or so, no one really sees prospects as those.

Javonte Smart (ranked 35th in 2018) says hello *
by Ajax  (2020-05-12 17:18:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There will be a rigorous 48-hour investigation resulting in
by 1NDGal  (2020-05-10 19:34:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

complete exoneration of Coach K. That one AAU coach, though. He’s screwed.

It will probably get 45 seconds on Sportscenter....
by Wolfetone  (2020-05-10 22:53:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the story will be a dead issue by Monday morning....

Damn. Elon will get the death penalty for this one. *
by LateNiteNaugles  (2020-05-10 19:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have to admit that this made me chuckle. *
by Georgia Hog  (2020-05-11 10:01:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know what's even funnier and sad?
by Ajax  (2020-05-11 11:08:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that the 2020 recruiting class for Elon is by all reports easily the best in program history. Rivals has them ranked #65, between Minnesota and BC. Perhaps there are some helpful alumni there.

ND is tied with several schools at #67.

I figured we would self report on his violation
by graNDfan  (2020-05-11 13:24:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And forfeit our Elite Eights

I never heard of any school forfeiting elite 8's
by Ajax  (2020-05-11 20:32:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are their actual banners that can go in storage?

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.
by TWO  (2020-05-10 18:06:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll bet Coach K has about 10 levels of distance between him and all of this, he thought Zion was just coming for the Duke education and tradition.

Sure that one year of Duke education
by tedstheman  (2020-05-10 22:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't imagine Zion could describe the inside of a Duke classroom.

He made a 10 month decision. Minus the attendance. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-11 11:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What happens with 1 and dones if they don't
by TWO  (2020-05-11 12:27:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

finish the semester? I mean eligibility for the 2nd semester is based on passing the 1st semester, so they have to go to make the min grades for eligibility. But the NCAA tournament is over before finals.

Can those guys stop going to class after the NCAA tourney and blow off their finals and not have it come back and make them ineligible for the 2nd semester, thus voiding all the games they played?

At North Carolina they get a degree
by KeoughCharles05  (2020-05-12 15:51:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, at least after three and a half more years of not attending classes.

Yes and No
by civil_engr05  (2020-05-11 14:50:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, players who know they are leaving can definitely stop going to class after the NCAA tournament. Yes, they lose eligibility for the next semester, but the NCAA can't go back and void any game they played in the past.

That said, a player who leaves without finishing the semester hurts the school's APR score. With a low enough APR score the schools can get penalized, which could include a postseason ban. There is no penalty for athletes who finish the semester and then go pro. So the majority of kids finish the semester before leaving. I think nowadays a lot have started finishing through online classes. Even if they are on campus, though, you're usually only talking about 4-6 weeks after the NCAA tournament.

I know during Cal's time at UK there has only been 1 player known to have dropped out of school and leave. That was in Cal's first year at UK. Early in Cal's time at UK I know of a lot of athletes that were still on campus after the NCAA tourney but most now seem to be finishing online.

Yep
by HTownND  (2020-05-12 12:28:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They check out after December and the Fall semester.

The Spring is online classes, and once the tournament is done, they complete the online classes while preparing with their agents for the draft.

But they are, for all intents and purposes done by December with anything resembling on campus schooling.

Thanks, good explanation. *
by TWO  (2020-05-11 15:15:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leave of absence for an unknown illness will be announced. *
by hibernianangst  (2020-05-10 17:43:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post