Since there appears to be some NBA fans here,Top 10 all time
by DBCooper (2020-05-13 15:44:06)
Edited on 2020-05-13 17:33:40

Thoughts? Changes? Who not in top 10 should be there, who would you push out.

ESPN top 10
Jordan
LeBron
Kareem
Russell
Magic
Wilt
Bird
Duncan
Kobe
Shaq

I don’t have a problem with the top 10. I could see maybe Curry or Durant sneaking up in there by the time their career is over, but they would have to win a few more championships and accomplish some more career accomplishments. It is hard to compare a player now to a player in the 60s through 80s because the game has changed so much. I’m not sure it’s because it has become more athletic, there were plenty of players back then who could hang with current athletes, but more because now is all about shooting 3s and obviously it wasn’t like that at all before the 80s and just started to gain momentum 10 or 15 years ago. But if 3s were such a big part of the game you don’t think Jerry West, Larry Bird, or even Jordan would have practiced the shot constantly and had all time numbers? Reggie Miller probably would have had Curry numbers back in the 90s.

I am an unabashed Larry Bird fan so I have him at 4, with the same top 3. I am never as amazed by a 7 footer who could dominate because most 7 footers with athleticism should have dominated the NBA. Not to mention there were only 8-14 teams during Russell and Chamberlains time so Russell’s wins are not as impressive to me and Chamberlians lack of championships is a major negative. Plus Russell was not a great offensive player, just wasn’t. He never averaged over 20 ppg and never had a .470 FG percentage. For a big man back then that is not all time great numbers. Obviously arguably the greatest defensive player of all time and outside of Jordan probably the greatest desire to win at all costs. But I have him and Wilt at 6 and 7. Magic at 5. For me, Bird’s late injuries hurt him a bit vs Magic for the career, but his best 4 or 5 seasons top Magic’s. But again, I’m biased, so if someone puts Magic ahead of Bird I’m not going to argue.

ESPN did top 74 players all time. A lot can be debated on 11thru 74, But 1 thru 10 is all that really matters.

Replies: