I understand your opinion
by Ajax (2020-05-31 14:59:38)
Edited on 2020-05-31 15:01:53

In reply to: I couldn't disagree more  posted by El Kabong

But I don't agree with it. UCLA was certainly the most iconic program then. The last team to beat them was ND. ND was not even 2 years removed from a 6-20 season. They had lost their last 4 games to UCLA by 128 points. The 88 game winning streak was revered and the way ND won the game was beyond epic for a program that had never made a final 4.

This was a big deal and it was the start of the golden era of ND basketball with great regular season wins and crushing NCAAT losses. Unless ND wins a national championship game, this is the signature win in the history of the program. Now with said, had ND beat an undefeated UK team to advance to the final 4 it would have rivaled the UCLA game. Here's the deal, had ND beat UK and then lost to Wisconsin or Duke it would have been like the 1980 USA hockey team losing to Finland.

I cringe at those who see this close loss to UK as comparable to the UCLA win.

Back in 1974 and still now, there is nothing BCish about the iconic UCLA comeback win, especially since we will NEVER see a college team with a winning streak that sniffs 88 games.

Replies: