The 88 game win streak was sandwiched
by Ajax (2020-06-01 17:28:32)
Edited on 2020-06-01 17:32:28

In reply to: We're not the reason it's there, though  posted by El Kabong

between 2 losses to ND.

So in a 109 game span, UCLA had 107 wins and 2 losses to ND.

Yes, the streak is about the success of UCLA but ND was the team stopped it. The way they did it was also remarkable in the age of no shot clock or three point line versus a juggernaut team led by Walton and Wilkes. It was an all time historic CBB game regardless that it was regular season.

ND was not the team that knocked the mighty UK off their undefeated mantle, it was Wisconsin in a FINAL 4 GAME and Wisconsin ended up losing to Duke (their Finland).

The only way ND or Wisconsin ends up in the CBB HOF for beating UK is by winning the NC. In the case of ND it would have required beating 2 more excellent teams.

Curious is there an exhibit in the CBB HOF for Duke beating an undefeated UNLV team on the way to their first NC under K? There should be. Had Duke lost the NC game to Kansas, would there be? IMO, it's quite possible no.

Also, is there an exhibit in the CBB HOF for Duke beating UK the following season in what many consider the greatest CBB game ever?

Like I said, I understand your point it was more about UCLA than ND, but this game was not close to being BCish.

BTW- you know what NCAAT game should have an exhibit? Virginia losing as the 1 seed vs UMBC. In terms of an all time upset, that blows away the upset that could have been versus UK.

The UK game was there for the taking, but it was a (border line choke job) loss and to this point the greatest game in the 20 year Mike Brey era was a loss. Honestly I get tired hearing about the close UK loss by the best team Brey has had at ND and will ever have. I would prefer to remember that team for the ACC title or the way they stomped on a media favored Wichita State team.

At least with NCAAT choker Digger, his greatest game as ND HC was a win.