Balanis Apparently in running for UW-GB coaching job
by Norm (2020-06-05 19:24:43)

Apparently in the final four choices with:

Virginia assistant Brad Soderberg
Bradley assistant Jimmie Foster
Wheeling University (Division II) head coach Will Ryan (Bo Ryan son)

Report: they've hired Ryan *
by SB Jimbo  (2020-06-06 19:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hope he gets the job
by irishfaninbethel  (2020-06-06 17:15:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a long-time high school basketball assistant coach (18 years), I hope Balanis gets the job. He seems to be an outstanding assistant and certainly has paid his dues. He deserves a shot at a head position. (I'm still hoping to get my shot at the high school level.)

On the flip side, I understand why he may have a difficult time getting a job. Why has he been an assistant so long? Is there a reason he been an assistant? Is he just cut out to be an assistant? I am no longer a high school assistant -- mainly because I was tired of being 2nd man. So now, I dropped down and have been a head middle school coach the past two years.

Still -- hope he gets the job.

I have to think Soderberg is the most likely
by fontoknow  (2020-06-06 14:20:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Played for Dick Bennett at UW-SP and coached with Dick Bennett at UW-SP.

Dick Bennett then coached at UWGB (Tony was a star guard for the Fighting Phoenix) ... Dick Bennett walks on water in Green Bay.

Will Ryan seems the next most likely given the Bo Ryan connection.

I think Balanis will be on Brey's last staff at ND.

Ryan should have a clear avenue into Madison
by ndamage  (2020-06-06 16:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at some point. His father was successful at the D3 Level winning titles at Plattville (of all places). I don't think the kid will be as good of a coach as his father, but who knows.

Actually might not be that "clear"
by CrazyMary  (2020-06-07 17:10:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Greg Gard is actually only 49-years old despite being at Wisconsin what seems like forever. He's been there in different coaching positions since 2001 and seems to be churning out Wisconsin-like teams. He was just named Big Ten COY after sharing the conference title despite not having the overall talent as MSU or Maryland. Hard to argue much with winning 63% of conference games and 70% in years 4 and 5. He could be around in Madison for a long-time if he continues with his recent track.

Will Ryan will already turn 42 next month and if he's really good at Green Bay the next 5-seasons or so, he may have some really good offers from big programs that he couldn't pass up basketball-wise and obviously financially as he'd be closing in on 50. It sounds like the intial GB offer was 6-years at $175k per. That's peanuts compared to what bigger schools would offer him (if he's actually successful at GB). Hell, big program assistants dwarf that salary. It would be tough to go to a big program, rebuild it, make it your own and then go to Wisconsin.

Jobs like UWGB are definitely stepping stone jobs
by fontoknow  (2020-06-08 09:23:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you note, big program assistants (I'm guessing UVA counts, not sure about ND) are making more than that.

Ryan will use this step up into something bigger, if he's successful.

I'm guessing Soderberg can step up into something bigger already ... but getting close to home might have been interesting too.

Soderberg is paid well
by CrazyMary  (2020-06-08 12:59:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually incredibly well compared to the salary for the head job at UWGB. His base is in the $300k range while also receiving NCAA tournament bonuses. Additional $20k just for making the tourney, S16, Final Four and topping out at like $65k for the national title.

I'm sure you're well-aware of the long family relationship. Soderberg's name has been out there the last few years but never left UVA. He's 58 now so maybe he's too comfortable where he's at to essentially start over at as you noted a stepping stone job. Possibly would need the perfect situation to move on as I also suspect there's a special relationship between Brad and Tony. Obviously, Dick has been very fond of Brad for a long time. Played for him and then immediately hired him just out out of college. Of course, hired Brad again as soon at he got the gig in Madison.

From everything I've heard, Tony is a really quality guy to work for too. He and his wife donated $500k a couple years ago to start a career development program for current and former UVA basketball players.

A few years ago, Coach Bennett was offered a significant...
by 73CAV  (2020-06-09 19:26:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pay raise. He declined it with the request that that money be used to boost the salaries of the assistant coaches and support staff. The assistants are pretty well paid at Virginia.

Agreed
by Ajax  (2020-06-08 13:34:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's been a D1 collegiate HC before- his one year stint at Wisconsin and 5 years at St.Louis.

I suspect if he wanted to be a HC again at a D1 mid-major he would have been able to land one. Being a top assistant for a high major program is a great gig at 58.

And you are correct on TB, a very classy and likable person.

Good analysis and forecast! *
by MPG  (2020-06-06 15:16:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hate to lose a good neighbor
by ND8486  (2020-06-06 10:39:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coincidentally he lives right across the street and one down from Beth Cunningham.

I'd be shocked if they hired him
by Ajax  (2020-06-06 16:59:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The other 3 candidates all have much stronger ties to the state of Wisconsin.