2022 offer
by Irish14 (click here to email the poster) (2020-06-15 10:59:23)

We offered 2022 big man Donovan Clingan from Bristol, CT. 7-1 255 lbs

Looks like Kramer against the karate kids. *
by golfjunkie17  (2020-06-16 19:58:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So 1 offer out there for 2021 (Wesley) & 1 for 2022
by Ajax  (2020-06-15 11:42:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Past interest in big man Elijah Hutchins-Everett for 2021, but nothing recent.

As far as 2022- interest in #5 big man on this rankings list and a CA Point Guard. FWIW the #3 prospect on this rankings list is receiving some good offers from schools such as Stanford.

I realize there is no AAU season, but most schools are submitting 2021 offers based on junior videos.

For 2021 it seems it is Wesley or bust for now. I do realize there are likely 3 star prospects who will emerge later on like we saw with Sanders.

2 others
by Irish14 (click here to email the poster)  (2020-06-15 12:25:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We also reached out to 2022 guard Rodney Rice who will be at DeMatha for his junior season and 5 Star Jaden Bradley from North Carolina. Bradley attends IMG in Florida.

I just read they reached out to Jaden Schutt
by Ajax  (2020-06-15 15:26:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have not seen any mention with Jaden Bradley.

Bradley is a top 10 prospect, so it seems unlikely ND would get involved.

Generally speaking the recruiting of 4 star or better recruits lists the teams involved. Besides Wesley, I see no one else in 2021.

Perhaps there are no solid big man options in 2021, so they are more focused on 2022 and the transfer market.

It looks like the expected 21-22 SS roster will be:

Hubb/Dane/Lasz
Ryan
Carmody
Sanders
Taylor
Zona

Newcomers:

Wertz
JR
Transfer big- grad or waiver
Maybe Wesley

With those 4 they will be at 12 on SS.
Without Wesley it will be 11.
They will only go after another 2021 recruit if they miss out on the transfer big AND Wesley.

So yeah, it appears it is currently Wesley or bust for 2021. Majority of focus is 2022.

ND has been in touch with Bradley (link)
by SB Jimbo  (2020-06-15 17:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 2020 Jeremy Roach
by Ajax  (2020-06-15 22:43:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's great they have reached out to this Jaden, but unless he conveys some serious mutual interest I would suspect Brey will focus attention on attainable recruits. ND's ceiling is top 50-125 prospects. Any prospects outside that range better:

Have size and can shoot
Have size and athleticism
Have high end athleticism
Be knockdown shooters.

Stockrisers
by Irish14 (click here to email the poster)  (2020-06-15 16:49:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to Stockrisers Notre Dame reached out to Bradley. You can add Gradey Dick to the list of 2022 players we have reached out to today. On a side note @jakeweingarten on Twitter, he’s with Stockrisers, is a great source for all things college basketball recruiting for anyone interested.

I just don't think we know
by HTownND  (2020-06-15 11:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coverage of ND hoops recruiting is spotty at best, who knows who we are talking to, what offers are out there, etc?

No news is bad news in recruiting.... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-06-15 13:14:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not really
by HTownND  (2020-06-15 15:04:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The coverage of Notre Dame basketball recruiting, outside of Demetrius Jackson, has been wanting.

Look at the coverage of Connaughton's recruitment, or Jerian Grant's? There just isn't much news about ND recruiting out there, never has been (outside of Chris Thomas and Demetrius Jackson, because they were Indiana kids, and Jackson was local).

Hunter Dickinson plenty of coverage *
by Ajax  (2020-06-15 15:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure, 1 more over the last 20 years
by HTownND  (2020-06-16 11:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn’t change the point.

Coverage of Notre Dame recruiting has always been lackluster and wanting and we generally operate in a black hole of information other than a few/handful of exceptions.

If you want to hammer Brey on the final results, fine by me.

But I think hammering him and the staff because we have a terrible view into recruiting (a complete 180 from football), doesn't make sense.

I mean look at this thread. We went from 1 to several names and offers and contacts.

We just don't know what the staff is doing, because it's not well covered, and we have to rely on other outlets for information.

Judge the results. But I think "no news is bad news in recruiting" doesn't apply here. No news means no one is covering it.

I don't understand your quibble...... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-06-18 16:55:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When it comes to ND basketball recruiting
by HTownND  (2020-06-18 18:39:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your statement doesn't make sense, unless the no news we got on guys like Connaughton, Grant, Matt Carroll, etc, was bad news, which we know it wasn't.

No news isn't bad news. No news means no one covers ND hoops recruiting very well.

Exactly.
by ribs  (2020-06-19 11:33:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The need for EVERYTHING to suck, ALL of the time from certain posters hasn't had a great affect on The Pit or Rock's House. Lazy, exaggerated "drive by" posts have led to some notable contributors becoming casual lurkers rather than posters.

By several accounts, ND has been more active so far in this recruiting season, when compared with the last couple of years. See the thread above. But since none of the prospects has already committed, this can only be viewed as bad news. Right.

It's hard for me to believe posters would be casual lurkers
by Wolfetone  (2020-06-20 10:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Predicated on the comments of others. Everybody is entitled to their
say.

Believe it *
by El Kabong  (2020-06-20 11:57:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also
by HTownND  (2020-06-19 15:52:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume everyone knows there was a dead period until Monday, right?

A nit
by HTownND  (2020-06-19 15:51:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"But since none of the prospects were listed as having interest until recently, this can only be viewed as bad news, until yesterday, when we got news, which makes it good news, it was only bad news when there was no news beforehand"

Right. *
by ribs  (2020-06-19 19:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Early interest is a positive compared to recent years..... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-06-19 14:27:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed
by El Kabong  (2020-06-19 12:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I think I need to start doing something about it.

No news means recruiting isn't going well....
by Wolfetone  (2020-06-19 06:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which has been the case for several years recently....

No, it means no one cares
by El Kabong  (2020-06-19 10:15:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The audience wants football news and football recruiting information. Ergo, they do little to no research when it comes to ND hoops recruiting, and their nationwide guys, outside of getting overall lists, aren't going to inquire too deeply about what they don't think their audience wants.

There's a reason none of the ND network sites have a basketball board.

I want it,you want it, as do the posters on Pit.....
by Wolfetone  (2020-06-19 11:09:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a market but obviously not the size of the football market....

That's not enough
by HTownND  (2020-06-19 13:20:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is why we, outside of a handful of exceptions the past 20 years, operate with limited information, or as you put it, no news.

It is not a financially viable option for the recruiting sites to pay to have someone covering ND hoops like a Duke, UNC, UVA, and any other ACC school, or even ND football is covered.

Obviously
by El Kabong  (2020-06-19 12:27:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nowhere near.

Case in point: Donovan Clingan

Articles written about his recruitment on the network sites: One, by Blue & Gold. No interview, mostly references from other network recruiting sites. I'd expect that from BGI because Lou Somogyi is a big hoops guy, but it still seems to be the bare minimum.

Mike Frank's site, OTOH, has two articles about him specifically, one of which has an interview with his coach about him. They also probably have the most comprehensive who-is-ND-recruiting article for the season. They're also much smaller with a lot fewer resources to bring to bear, so even if they want to cover hoops recruiting closely, they can't afford to.

Irish Illustrated, part of the 247 network, which has better recruiting info in general and plenty of national resources, hasn't written a damn thing about him or any other ND hoops recruit. As evidenced above, there's plenty of info out there, but we haven't heard dick from them.

I want it too.
by mocopdx  (2020-06-19 12:19:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That makes what, seven of us? Look at the viewership numbers on those streams on the exhibition games in November- the online-only ones where they tell you how many people are watching. I swear at one point I looked over and it was under 100. Now granted, it's a preseason game against the Sisters of the Poor, but if it were UNC, Kansas, etc. there would certainly be thousands watching.

Basketball is still far, far behind football in interest among ND fans. Hell, I'm in an email chain of 25 ND fans to discuss football recruiting, and two of us care about basketball enough to know our starting five. A few others will watch the big games. The rest will tune in at March Madness, maybe.

Here's a minute of film on him. (link)
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-06-15 11:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm no guru but there's a lot to like there. *
by Dennis  (2020-06-15 12:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post