DJ Carton to Marquette with immediate eligibility....
by Raoul (2020-06-17 16:26:22)

Did we look at him? That seems like a great deal to get immediate eligibility.

Excerpt from the local sports page this morning on him:
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-18 10:14:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Front of the sports page, under the fold.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Carton averaged 10.4 points, 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds in 20 games as a freshman for the Buckeyes. He stepped away from the team in January to focus on his mental health, then decided to transfer. That made him a good candidate to receive the waiver to play next season.

But the NCAA is not transparent about the waiver process and there is expected to be a high number of waiver requests this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. So Carton getting a waiver in June was a bit of a surprise.

"We've been on top of it since the beginning," Wojciechowski said. "I think D.J. had a strong case. He had the support of the people from Ohio State. I think all of those things played a role.

"We wanted to get it in as soon as possible, before the football waivers. Our compliance staff did a great job. D.J. and his family did a great job. Ohio State was really good to work with."

Carton is an explosive athlete who gives MU the dynamic perimeter player that it needs next season after losing all-time leading scorer Markus Howard.

"He's got some things from a physical standpoint that you just can't coach," Wojciechowski said. "He's got some gifts. He's very good in the pick and roll. He's a very unselfish player. He'll make the guys around him better."

I'm happy with Wertz. *
by NDMike2001  (2020-06-18 09:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post