CBS analysts not high on the Irish
by Ty Webb (2020-10-15 12:16:53)
Edited on 2020-10-15 12:17:26

Their panel has us 12th with none of their "experts" having us higher than 11th. One guy has us dead last.

Why is this a surprise ? *
by LAW83  (2020-10-25 20:06:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're NBC's baby, not CBS's or ABC/ESPN/Disney's
by NDFanSince81  (2020-10-16 12:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't expect love from someone else's family.

ESPN is our basketball rightsholder
by shea  (2020-10-27 13:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We get treated fairly on their airwaves and we always have. They had our winningest former coach on their top studio panel for years, the face of their ACC coverage was an over-the-top homer for our football team and a quiet homer for our basketball team.

OK .. fair enough. ESPN has treated our MBB program fine. *
by NDFanSince81  (2020-10-27 18:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're calling a spade, a spade . . .
by Dennis  (2020-10-21 13:06:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or more likely they're calling it an effing shovel.

This logic makes no sense to me
by Ty Webb  (2020-10-18 21:15:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So sportswriters make picks based on what teams are on their network?

We got to be somebody’s baby. We must be somebody’s baby. *
by Freight Train  (2020-10-17 21:13:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I heard Brey talkin to his friend when he thought nobody
by 1NDGal  (2020-10-17 21:36:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

else was around ...

Not in basketball we aren't *
by El Kabong  (2020-10-16 14:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good
by bmoreirish  (2020-10-16 10:21:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This team grew a lot last year and I expect it to hit the ground running this year. Low expectations will help us sneak up on some teams, and this is usually when Brey is at his best. I think our starting 5 will be rock solid, the only question for me is if we will get enough production from the bench to be able to make a run at the tournament.

My concern is we lost our 2 top scorers and glue guy
by pmoose  (2020-10-19 07:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mooney was a beast last season and Gibbs was heating up before COVID ended the season early. Rex didn't light up the stat sheet (except in assists - had the same number as Gibbs) but was one of the better glue guys we've had.

Seems hard to imagine that our opening game starting five will be any other than Hubb, Ryan, Goodwin, Laz, and Juwan. After that, it seems as if we are depending on freshmen to step in and make an impact right away.

At guard it's either Djogo or freshman Sanders Jr, probably both. Losing Carmody again for the early part of the season probably means both of them play quite a bit. Heck, I could even see Morgan getting significant time.

At forward, the other 2 options are freshmen in Taylor and Zona.

It's not hard to see why experts predict a bottom 4 finish. We have 5 decent starters (only 4 of which have played in an Irish uniform) and a bunch of question marks. On top of that, we have to replace our top 2 scorers from last season.

Wishful thinking most likely
by Ajax  (2020-10-19 21:03:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But your description is not far off the 2010-11 team in terms of what was lost from 09-10 and who was proven going into that season.

I think that is understandable, given the past 2 years.
by The Beef  (2020-10-16 00:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We weren’t a good team the past 2 years and we lost our best rebounder, scorer and defender. As well as another 4 year contributor. We’re not bereft of potential, but there are a lot of unknowns. I don’t know enough to critique the rest of the conference, but I think it’s hard to predict success right now..

Agreed. I have no idea what to expect. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-10-16 10:57:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have seen a range of 7th to 15th
by Ajax  (2020-10-15 22:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Putting aside the one at 15th which is nuts, have to believe the rest of the sites have wake forest at 15.

ND IMO has the potential for all 5 in the starting lineup to average at least 10 ppg. The bench is the huge concern, though I believe the starters will average 160 mpg.

David Cobb (1 of 5 analysts), is either an idiot or a savant
by Hickster  (2020-10-15 13:49:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All 5 analysts have Virginia #1.

The other 4 analysts have:
Duke #2 (with 1 at #3), and
UNC #3 (with 1 at #2).
ND #12 (with 1 at #11)

Cobb has:
Duke at #2
UNC at #7
ND last at #15

I could see Carolina struggling early.
by TripleDomer  (2020-10-16 11:59:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I probably watched 5-6 Carolina games last year. If they didn't score on the break, their standard end of possession was a Cole Anthony 1v1 shot.

I presume they will figure it out by mid-season, but they could drop several games early.

They have a stacked front line
by Ajax  (2020-10-16 23:50:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And a couple of frosh point guards who were ranked 14 and 47.

Much more talented and complete team. I can't see them losing several early games.

He has Durham graduated already... *
by Homeboy73  (2020-10-15 13:08:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe he has his degree and is back
by 84david  (2020-10-15 15:09:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a grad student.

Agreed. The writer has since corrected his write-up saying
by Homeboy73  (2020-10-15 20:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Jawan had graduated.