Light up the #23!
by sluredandstumbly (2020-11-19 17:05:20)

Curious to know what those of you who are much closer to the program and its history think of this ranking. Just some sausage for the board.

Strictly my opinion, but
by tf86  (2020-11-21 19:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wins probably don't mean enough in that ranking (ND is Top 10 all-time in wins, although that analysis is limited to 1938-39, so not Top 10 in that time period). I also think they should give some credit for Sweet 16 appearances, but not sure that would change our standing. Lack of league titles obviously hurts us.

With that said, Western Kentucky is the only program ranked ahead of us that I would have a huge beef with.

Considering some teams rated lower
by Ajax  (2020-11-19 19:55:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems generous.

The UCLA game was likely worth at least 5 spots.

There are plenty of "what ifs"...
by Scoop80  (2020-11-20 15:36:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What if '74 team (which went 3-1 v. F4 teams over a span of about 2 weeks) hadn't laid an egg v. MI in S16? What if Walton had defied Wooden and called a TO once ND cut it to 70-69 that year--or if a final UCLA desperation shot had gone in? What if JG's final shot v. UK in '15 hadn't been deflected? What if Irish had dug a hole of, say, a mere 12 points before the late rally v. Duke in '78 F4?

All things considered, it seems reasonable to me. It's an excellent ranking for a program w/ only 1 F4 appearance, but I assume that there were more S16 appearances than other comparable programs. Program would have wide swings in ratings in 1980 compared to 2000 compared to 2020.

Sweet 16 appearances when it was 32 teams
by Ajax  (2020-11-20 17:15:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Required winning one game.

You had to be good enough to qualify...
by Scoop80  (2020-11-20 20:05:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Carr's 2 S16 teams and the '74, '76, '77, and '81 teams (each of which won 1 game before losing in S16) all belonged there. Maybe the '75 team was borderline, but they did beat Wooden's final UCLA team, which went on to win the title.

Put another way, the '73 team made it to a 16 team NIT (when the NCAAs only had 25 teams). Once there, they beat UL and UNC teams* in consecutive games. Those 2 teams would've easily qualified for a 64 team NCAA, and USC (ND's first round victim) probably would've, too.

*In Digger's first ND postseason appearance, he beat D. Crum and D. Smith in consecutive games. Let that sink in for a minute.

Excellent points
by Ajax  (2020-11-20 21:10:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was just noting the math to get to 16.

Diggers best team beat Austin Peay and Fly Williams to advance.

From Carr to Tripucka it was an excellent run outside of Diggers first season.

The next 10 years was meh, despite some nice talent. Still think about what could have been with Petrovic.

The 90's was really awful and it would have been even worse if not for Monty or Pat.

The Brey era has had at most 8 quality teams in 20 years and a lot of meh and in terms of players he recruited very little success at the next level.

It just seems some teams ranked lower have accomplished more in their history, especially when you factor the last 40 years!

Btw that NIT team went on a helluva run and beat some great teams. I know the NIT team was a bigger deal back then, but you have to wonder how deflating it was for top 15 teams to not be playing for the NC.

UCLA had incredible teams and talent during their golden era, but they also avoided a lot of great teams in those small field NCAAT's. I still recall Arizona's lone NC they beat 3 number one seeds.
Brey otoh has only beaten a better seed once in a 4/5 game.

Probably accurate
by El Kabong  (2020-11-19 17:27:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The issue remains what it always has been -- not enough Final Fours (and, with the metrics they're using, regular-season titles).