It's not so much "the portal" per se.
by revressbo (2021-04-07 10:01:11)

In reply to: Personally, I don't see how this transfer portal  posted by chicos bail bonds

I actually like the concept of the portal for a guy who knows he's going to transfer, or at least is highly considering it. Better to have it up front/out in the open than some shady backroom discussions between a player and a different coach at another institution.

I also think this offseason is creating the perfect storm of a high number of transfers.

1) This is the first year where guys will be able to transfer and play right away without needing a waiver. Naturally, a bunch of players are going to try to take advantage of this all at once. But those guys that transferred this year won't be able to next year and it will be more evenly spaced out moving forward after this year.

2) The extra year of eligibility is creating situations where teams just don't have room for some guys/don't want to keep them (or vice versa), but they now still have an extra year (see Djogo as an example, who would've been done with eligibility under normal circumstances) and/or a guy who might have just finished his junior year may not have had an incentive to transfer normally and just stay where he's at, but with the extra year of eligibility (combined with my first point of being able to play right away) now feels inclined to move since he'll have 2 more years instead of 1. This will gradually no longer become an issue over the next 3-4 years.

I feel like, had the NCAA known #2 was going to happen, they would not have allowed #1 to happen the same offseason. But there's been a bit of a snowball effect for years on #1, and they couldn't really stop it at this point.

Moving forward, I think things will be a bit more "normal" on the transfer end.