Overtime Elite Basketball League?
by TWO (2021-04-12 17:13:25)

Overtime Elite Basketball? What the hell is that? Well it's a league that will pay the "top" HS age players to play in the league. They say the salaries will be 6 figures, and those who play will forfeit their high school and college eligibility. Kind of like the GLeague which already allows High School age players, but I believe they require that you be finished with HS, it's a way to play and prepare for the NBA without going to college and making some money at the same time. Not sure how many kids signed up for G League instead of going to college.

Why do I think this is going to fail. I know the kids and the parents sometimes see NBA gold for their son who no doubt is the next Steph Curry, Lebron, James Harden, etc....but jeez, how about letting a kid be a kid.

I guess this is the way things go in Europe for soccer where kids turn pro sometimes in their early teens and the play for some major teams development squad.

Who is going to pay to watch this?
by The Beef  (2021-04-13 20:03:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not sure how the league would survive without someone like the NBA subsidizing it. I would have ZERO interest in it. Then again, I’ve attended one NBA game since 1993 and haven’t watched a full NBA game on TV in about 15 years.

Probably nobody but their parents/friends and NBA Scouts *
by TWO  (2021-04-14 15:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In European soccer academies
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-04-12 23:01:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the elite kids go to a club to train and get their primary/secondary education until they're old enough to sign a pro contract. The ones who are good enough make it, and the ones who aren't usually try to move on somewhere else professionally in soccer before doing something else.

I'm not sure how that compares to this thing - unless the NBA is setting this up I don't think it compares at all.

Thanks for the explanation.
by TWO  (2021-04-13 10:30:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really had no idea how they did it in Europe other than their model isn't a University based athletic program for kids wanting to go Pro.