Not a game. Not a game. We're talking about practice.
by Kayo (2022-07-19 11:07:35)
Edited on 2022-07-19 11:08:08

Early this morning...

the real question: why was someone wearing Pflueger's jersey *
by NDWahoo  (2022-07-28 17:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm really looking forward to this season
by garbageplate  (2022-07-20 15:37:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The postseason run was such a breath of fresh air after the preceding years of malaise. This team looks to have a nice mix of veterans and talented young players.

I expect Starling to perform at a higher level than Wesley and, if Lubin can build on what he's shown so far, we have a real shot to challenge for the ACC and make a deep run in the NCAAs.

Are we going to be ok in the interior?
by Combodraw  (2022-07-21 11:18:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not worried about our offense being too perimeter/slash oriented but rebounding and defense could be an issue.

Anyone have a realistic positive take on why this won’t be a big issue?

Depends on Zona and Lubin
by garbageplate  (2022-07-24 16:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we can get 10-15 solid minutes out of Zona and Lubin can defend without fouling, then we might be able to survive down there. We'll need Laz to rebound effectively as well (on defense anyway- I don't expect him to be hanging around the basket looking for offensive rebounds too often).

The game, in general, is more perimeter oriented, so I wouldn't expect to see too many imposing front lines like some of the teams of yesteryear.
Nonetheless, it's a legitimate concern for ND every year and this year will probably be no different.

My guess is Lubin will provide excellant help defense but he
by Section12  (2022-07-26 12:08:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

could not be a shut down or even adequate post defender this year. Moving forward next year that's Dom Campbells job. FWIW I think Lubin will get more then 15 minutes by midseason. Saw an interview with Mike Brey last night and he couldn't say enough about him.

Nope. We will be scored on at will against teams
by 84david  (2022-07-22 10:07:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with decent bigs. Probably give up tons of
offensive rebounds too.

But we can probably out score teams too.

That's my major concern too
by pmoose  (2022-07-21 12:27:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Laz has not proven to be able to guard someone who is a similar size has he is and has good low-post moves. Lubin may provide somewhat of a low post threat on offense but I doubt he'll be any better defensively than Laz, although 6'8" and 220 lbs is a decent size. Dom Campbell might help some, but reports seem to be he needs conditioning and won't contribute right away. Maybe Zona will show marked improvement?

This is where losing Elijah Taylor hurts. Don't know if there was more to the transfer than him not feeling like he was going to get the PT he wanted - I know there were academic issues that kept him out last season. Early season last year in the time he played, he looked like a big body who wouldn't get pushed around.

Not optimistic about interior offense or
by Homeboy73  (2022-07-21 11:59:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

defense, unless Dom Campbell morphs into the second coming of Chevy Troutman

Lots of articles in headlines this morning *
by El Kabong  (2022-07-20 07:33:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I've read from three different sources re:Starling
by mocopdx  (2022-07-19 11:08:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That he's the real deal. Damn he looks smooth and athletic out there. I know it's practice, but...

It’s clear he’s on a totally different level
by Btd  (2022-07-19 13:11:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rarely has someone in my lifetime following ND looked like a star day one and then not ended up being a star. There are some that just jump right off the page the instant you see them and this kid is one of those. I expect him to be up and down this year like any freshman in the ACC, but it is clear he is more the kind of guy Duke signs than Nd most of the time.

He may help us forget Wesley - until we all ponder WTF our year would have been had Wesley played this one year with JJ. That had 2015 type potential talent wise, but not as seasoned as Grant, Pat, etc to pair with the talent.

The team overall is far more balanced and athletic than we’ve been in a while - except we have zero legitimate big men - two stretch 4’s and a freshman a year or more away. The constant Brey gap for forwards - where every 3-4 years we have a year where we have no true big men or only one total.

This
by Section118  (2022-07-19 13:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really really wanted to see JJ and Blake together.

Was never really too concerned with JJ and him hitting stride, despite being a freshman.

Our Gs will be really good this year. Please let us develop a big man so we don't get destroyed on def/rebounds, as our offense will be better than it has been for awhile and will be a treat to watch.

There was some hope there that Lubin can plug some of
by btd  (2022-07-19 16:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the hole we have inside. That wasn't really expected from him -- more of some kind of wing help from him. It won't be enough, but it would lift us beyond my expected starting point: Laz alone most of the time and with Zona some times.

Long term
by SECTION12  (2022-07-19 18:32:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ven Lubin could be Hump he'll need to get stronger. Dom Cambell could see some action but he'll need to work on his perimeter defense. He may be a step slow on the pick and roll. Honestly we need to find some minutes for Koz as his game is ready for 15 minutes or so, he's a player.

You don’t need rebounds if you don’t miss much
by Btd  (2022-07-19 23:54:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We can win a lot of games via great shooting. I think we aren’t a lost cause inside though. We have players - just not day one. Not all teams can exploit our gaps. Especially if we are harassing the shit out of their guards.

We have more options to keep offense flowing and we have a lot of big guards that can collectively rebound. Not all balls bounce to the other teams bigger man. Boxing out really well offsets some of it too.

I’m strangely optimistic about what this team can evolve into.

Thoughts on Campbell? Was he wearing 25 (there were a few
by Homeboy73  (2022-07-19 12:45:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with that number).

He and Zona were wearing 25 *
by IrishinSF  (2022-07-19 19:14:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post