Please explain
by ironcitydomer (2023-03-22 20:30:13)

In reply to: This is a significant victory for Swarbrick.  posted by Bruno95

For those of us, not in the loop, can someone explain why he is an ideal coach? he has limited head coaching experience. his coaching lineage Seems above average. So what makes him so special?

He's far, far from a sure thing
by LeLuni  (2023-03-22 21:43:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I write this as someone who was very impressed with his sideline demeanor and active coaching during the NCAA tournament, but...

- Only two years of experience as a head coach

- No record of turning a failed program around (and ND needs a complete re-boot in every facet of the program)

- Needed to win 8 of the last 10 games this year just to make the tourney (after one of those infamous 'players only' meetings, nonetheless)

- 10-10 in the Big Ten this year (and guys, Penn State went 11-9 in the 2019-20 season... they're a middling program, but far from a complete disaster)

- Had his success while having an All-American on the roster who was a near-generational college talent in Pickett (a generous assessment, but the kid was an absolute difference maker)

I'm extremely encouraged about his recruiting prowess and that his first step at PSU was to focus on defense, but... I can't help myself, hold me, I'm Irish.

Thanks, but I still don't get it
by ironcitydomer  (2023-03-22 22:42:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm optimistic, but perplexed why the members on this board are so giddy.

Because we expected Jack to fail entirely and make a panic
by Btd  (2023-03-22 23:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hire after being publicly rejected by every coach any of us had on our target list, ending with a Solomon type hire.

With ya *
by ndzippy  (2023-03-22 22:56:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True. Name the sure thing, though. *
by basicbasket  (2023-03-22 21:50:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He supposedly is saying yes ! *
by LAW83  (2023-03-22 20:45:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has informed PSU he is leaving *
by bphweather  (2023-03-22 20:55:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The PSU AD seems to think so (link)
by El capitan  (2023-03-22 20:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beat me by 11 seconds *
by bphweather  (2023-03-22 20:59:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They call me “the quick one” in Detroit *
by El capitan  (2023-03-22 21:01:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what she said *
by wildesilas  (2023-03-22 21:06:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How did this become a Pitino thread? *
by MobileIrish  (2023-03-22 21:31:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post