Bucks receive permission to interview Chris Quinn for HC
by chezhdchick (2023-05-15 11:17:16)

Per Adrian Wojnarowski (ESPN NBA Insider) Tweet.

"The Milwaukee Bucks received permission to interview Miami Heat assistant Chris Quinn for the franchise’s coaching job, sources tell ESPN. Quinn has emerged on Erik Spoelstra’s staff as a candidate for several recent openings.

10:56 AM · May 15, 2023"

Bucks are looking at Monty too
by brewcitydomer  (2023-05-15 16:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND may be as important a pipeline to the Bucks as the Antetokounmpo bloodline.

One of the few guys Coach Bud actually out-coached
by ndzippy  (2023-05-16 06:26:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Monty seems like a great dude, but he also seems like a guy who constantly does less with more. No chance I'd consider him if I ran the Bucks.

Detroit previously received permission to interview him...
by Scoop80  (2023-05-15 11:26:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Being the lead assistant (and the interim HC in at least 2 games when Spoelstra was unavailable) for a franchise that has been to 3 of last 4 conference finals will lead to HC interview opportunities.

Hope it works out for him. Either way.
by chezhdchick  (2023-05-15 15:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, I'm biased towards the Bucks. Can you imagine walking into your first head coaching job and have a player like Antetokounmpo in place?

And if they keep Connaughton, all the more reason to watch the Bucks.

Obviously, coaching Bucks would be greatly preferable to...
by Scoop80  (2023-05-15 16:10:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaching Pistons. As I think that another post noted below, Monty W would seem to be a perfect candidate for them to pursue.

Not sure I've ever seen 2 Domers interviewing for NBA head jobs in same off-season.

Maybe, maybe not
by DBCooper  (2023-05-15 18:49:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As Buck HC they would expect a championship or nothing else, and rightfully so when you have arguably the best basketball player in the world on your team. But, that’s a tough spot for a first time HC. It’s also an older team and although Giannis and Holiday seem like good guys, you never know how they will handle listening to a new, inexperienced, HC. Middleton might not be on the team next year and Quinn will probably have 2 years to get to the championship or they will reevaluate him as a HC. Giannis doesn’t have a big window to win again there and they will always be worried he might force his way out. I think it makes more sense for Month, but not necessarily Quinn.

Meanwhile Detroit is a young team with one of the best chances to get the first pick in the draft and a generational talent. If Quinn coaches there he will have a few years to learn as a HC while his young talent develops. He would not need to win a ton for a few years as the young players mature. But a team with Wembamyana, Cunningham, Ivey and even Wiseman could be very good in 3-4 years if they get close to their ceiling.

Even if Detroit gets Henderson or Miller, it still will be a very good young core and a good place for Quinn to build up an organization from the ground floor the way he wants it. Milwaukee, although a very strong team, is kind of set in what they are. There is not alot of trade pieces there to
Improve the team and you won’t find many starter caliber players dying to sign there as a free agent.

Bucks reportedly are pursuing Monty but he had a 21m buyout
by TripleDomer  (2023-05-15 17:04:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He may be inclined to wait for a different job.

Is that still applicable since they let him go? *
by El Kabong  (2023-05-15 17:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would assume there's a set off provision for earnings..
by Scoop80  (2023-05-15 17:45:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with another franchise--unless LeBlanc was handling contract negotiations for Suns.

Besides Monty and Bill Hanzlik (for 1 year) have we had
by Raoul  (2023-05-15 16:33:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any other ND players become NBA HCs? Two at once would be a big deal and seems quite probably for next season.

I know Laimbeer was a long time and successful WNBA HC. Paxon was a GM. Garrity had other front office duties. Byron Spruell, though a FB not BB player, has a major NBA role.

P.S. Selfishly I want Williams with Pistons. And I'd probably take Quinn as well. Miami always overachieves. Pistons could get the 7'4" guy and be good sooner than most expect, especially with other high draft picks the last couple years.

Vince Boryla *
by TommyZ  (2023-05-15 17:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Charlie Wolf- ND football/basketball= NBA Royals & Pistons
by olson  (2023-05-15 21:00:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Boryla spent 2 yrs at ND transferred to Denver =coached the NY Knicks

Charlie Wolf spent 1 yr at ND (1946) playing football ('B' team) and varsity basketball (along with HS teammate George Ratterman who also played both sports)....Wolf then went into baseball- signing with the Cincinnati Reds MLB....later went into basketball coaching - HC of the Cincinnati Royals and then the Detroit Pistons

All so interesting to find out *
by Raoul  (2023-05-16 11:43:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

re: Boryla and your post on Rock's
by TommyZ  (2023-05-16 09:42:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please do not go away. Your posts are absolute treasures and one of the great joys of reading the board.

Re: Boryla - unfortunately, I did not have an opportunity to meet him. I have met and spoken to many of his close friends in East Chicago, including some high school teammates. I was always given the impression that Vince liked Notre Dame and enjoyed his time at ND, but did not love ND like so many do.

I also believe that Vinny might have been ahead of his time when it comes to NIL - but I will save that for another day.

I recall Hanzlik's 1 season w/ Denver--he & I were...
by Scoop80  (2023-05-15 17:23:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

classmates. That season didn't turn out well, and he never got another head job. He was the only Domer NBA HC I could recall prior to Monty W.

Besides the fact that CQ is Spoelstra's interim fill-in, he's always at Spoelstra's side on the sidelines. I know that he had a fair amount of HC experience in NBA summer league games.

A colleague of mine who's a Milwaukee native is tired of constantly hearing about "Heat culture." He grudgingly acknowledges the organization's strengths, however, esp. w/ Heat winning 2 of last 3 playoff matchups w/ Bucks. CQ now has a total of 12 years in the organization. He might know the combination to Riley's wine cellar by now.

Dantley was interim head coach of the Nuggets
by Kayo  (2023-05-15 16:42:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...when George Karl was being treated for cancer.

I had wondered if someone like him had such a chance *
by Raoul  (2023-05-16 11:44:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That makes me wonder about Digger
by mocopdx  (2023-05-15 16:20:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did he ever receive NBA interest? If so, did he make it far in any process- was there ever worry he would jump?

Digger was his own Trace Armstrong. *
by CJC  (2023-05-16 12:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not really *
by El Kabong  (2023-05-15 16:41:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post