High School hoops switching the women's college rule for
by Carlos Huerta (2023-05-16 10:01:12)
Edited on 2023-05-16 10:11:32

double bonus. No more one and ones, each quarter it's double bonus at the 5th team foul then it resets to zero each new quarter. Good news for the last guy on the bench who now has four potential chances to come in and give fouls at the end of quarters if their team has them to give.

I don't love the change, I like the drama that the one and one provides and I think this change also simplifies the strategy a bit on when to start using fouls at the end of the game which to me is a negative.

I never liked the change to double-bonus period
by pmoose  (2023-05-16 12:19:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I was in high school, there was no double-bonus. It was 1-and-1 from 7 fouls on in a half.

The double-bonus takes a lot of pressure off someone going to the line and needing to convert the front end to remain ahead by more than 1 score. It also takes a lot of pressure off a coach who might otherwise decide not to play a poor FT shooter in favor of someone who can consistently knock down FTs.

With that stated, I'll stop my "Get off my lawn!" rant. I know this ship has sailed and it's never going back.

I can see your point but I like how the 7 single/10 double
by Carlos Huerta  (2023-05-16 12:32:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bonus rule benefits the more disciplined team that doesn't foul as much during the course of the half. If a team keeps their fouls down I think getting to force their opponent into three one and one's during crunch time is enough. I don't specifically remember the conversation about instituting the double bonus but I'm sure a big part of it was to keep trailing teams from starting to foul with too much time left turning the last couple minutes of games into a parade to the FT line.

I certainly understand the 7/10 rule...
by pmoose  (2023-05-16 13:52:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and I am OK with this exactly because of what you point out. However, making your FTs is part of being a good basketball player, and if the other team knew fouling the other team was unlikely to cut into the lead because everyone is a good FT shooter, they wouldn't be so inclined to hack away.

To add, I'm also OK with the 7/10 rule because without it, a team using the strategy to continue putting teams to the line for 1-and-1's extends the game, often times unnecessarily. Not only is it a parade to the FT line, but it's also a way to turn a 1.75-2 hour game into 2.5-2.75 hours.

which state? *
by tmr779  (2023-05-16 11:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's an NFHS rule change so I assumed that means national?
by Carlos Huerta  (2023-05-16 12:22:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe someone knowledgeable on this can clarify if all states abide by NFHS rules.