It's simultaneously refreshing and frustrating
by mocopdx (2023-06-01 16:04:58)

In reply to: Wow. Admissions seems to have acted quicky for a change. *  posted by NDMike2001

Did ND suddenly give concessions that they refused to give to Brey? Did Shrew give them an ultimatum that finally made them crack? Did Brey not push hard enough?

I don't know the answers, but I sure wish we could've seen Brey operate with these (seemingly) new rules.

I’m not sure much concessions, but maybe a little….
by Norm  (2023-06-02 12:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe that the two groups of transfers that are the easiest to get into ND are the freshman and grad transfers for academic reasons. Why? Because ND freshman year of studies has a more diverse group of courses that can (for lack of a better word) “match” with courses taken at a prior school. Once more college specific courses are required it becomes much more difficult to get a trasnsfer credit for classes taken previously if their syllabi don’t match up to ND classes. Grad transfers are obviously graduates, which makes the whole process more simple and straightforward.

I think Brey did operate with the same rules(mostly), but not sure he had the same mindset. It’s impressive that MS had all 3 recruits follow him to ND. Just look at the information out there on ND hoops recruiting now vs before. I think MS understands the social media aspects of recruiting in a way Brey never did. I’m also impressed by how he’s focused a good portion on Indiana and I’ll bet he had some relationships with some of the kids were started when he was at PU.

1 year at Seton Hall.
by NDMike2001  (2023-06-02 07:08:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s certainly nothing that would indicate that he would not be on track to graduate having done one year at a good Catholic school. I suspect his classes checked out just fine. At the end of the day, that’s what Notre Dame cares about.

It’s not like Brey didn’t have undergrad transfers. Cormac from Stanford should have been easy. Wertz, Martin and Durham were probably straight forward. Plenty of others. Of course Ben Hansbrough from MSU strikes me as one of the schools that may not have been so simple.

Northwestern is another easy call with Roper. The Penn State boys fairly straightforward as well. I just don’t think admissions was or would have been a too terribly difficult obstacle for Brey if there was desire on his part to bring in the kind of players that Shrews has landed.

Consistent recruiting was always Brey’s problem. And when he looked for transfers it was always for fairly proven talent and/or high upside to fill his gaps.

Guessing this won't be the norm...
by NDFaninMadTown  (2023-06-01 17:09:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just for this year, to help Shrew get a roster that is respectable compared to where it was when the season ended.

Also I don't think once he's up and running, he will need a ton of concessions.