I certainly don't undervalue the importance of having 3 star
by tdiddy07 (2023-06-02 09:53:41)

In reply to: The Irish might be pretty good by February 1st  posted by Kayo

bodies in the lineup. The program was gutted of players. So despite ND being historically a very attractive place compared to the other programs each of these kids was deciding between, I, too, recognize that it took hard work to get the kids to believe that despite barely any roster, Shrewsberry will return ND to regularly playing competitive basketball. So I'm happy to have 3 stars from 5 of the 7 acquisitions thus far (counting Njie as a 4 star from high school).

But I also don't want to misrepresent that this is an upgrade over recent recruiting. From the 2018 class to the 2022 class, Brey brought in one 5 star, six 4 stars, and 9 three stars. Including transfers, it'd be one more 4 star and two 3 stars. By memory, that's a pretty typical ratio over Brey's tenure. Of course, if you exclude the 2018 class that just left, it's one 5 star, 2 4 stars, and 8 three stars, which certainly looks a lot worse and is better reflects the short-term state of the program before the new hire.

All that is to say, I'm glad that our turnaround time to be a competitive team looks a lot better than it did in February. And there's a good argument that the ability to generate the present recruiting results can turn into regularly bringing in four-star and occasional five-star talent once we start fielding tournament teams regularly again. But it still is a question mark whether Shrewberry's recruiting results will exceed Brey's general recruiting results. What I am more confident in is that we won't be whiffing on entire classes and that we will be recruiting behind classes to fill in the gaps when inevitable transfers happen.