My biggest beef with Brey was big man recruiting.
by Kayo (2023-06-03 20:13:08)

In reply to: I certainly don't undervalue the importance of having 3 star  posted by tdiddy07

Not so much that he didn't get any because we had some really good ones over the years. We even had a team that started four good players who listed at 6'8" or taller with Hansbrough at guard (Abromaitis, Martin, Scott, and Nash). We had Harangody, Kurz, Cooley, Auguste, Geben, and Mooney. There were plenty of of good bigs.

My problem was that Brey and his staff had several gaps when recruiting big men. Big man depth was a persistent issue, probably the #1 issue when it came to defense. Even the 2014 team that went 32-6 and damn near made the final four had to win games despite frequent double digit deficits on the boards.

I was willing to accept not getting top rated big men who had their eyes on the NBA and considered school a nuisance to that pursuit; but I believed that NF had to have at least three bigs every two classes to ensure that there were six in the program at all times. The underclassmen could develop while the upperclassmen logged the most playing time, and there would have been guys in the pipeline even if one or two of the three-star recruits didn't become major conference caliber players.

What I like best about Shrewsberry's roster is that it includes plenty of size. He added two 6'10" players and one 6'9" guy. Zona makes four guys who list at 6'9" or better. I'm willing to bet he will add at least two more in the next class.

It's about time that ND becomes the match-up problem for other teams instead of being the team with a size deficit.