The swallowing whistles Madness?
by beatgoeson (2024-03-30 20:26:59)

My timing is wrong, but several of the threads below talk about whistles eaten in the paint, in a variety of games the last couple days (haven't had a chance to watch today). I saw the head-butt to the gut move left uncalled, mentioned below. Couldn't believe it. Whats going on here? I read or heard they were going to "let them play". That's BS, after applying a standard for the better part of 3 months. Anyone have a theory or story re this supposed relaxation of rules? Bending over for the Big 10's Big man representative? Or pushing back on the 3 point shot (encouraging more inside play), or lessening 3pt defense w a new need for double teams inside? Thoughts?

Hijack: did ND take a charge all year?
by fredfenster  (2024-03-31 10:54:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve seen a few charges taken in the tournament and it got me thinking. You’d think a gritty player like Roper would at least have taken a few, but nothing comes to mind. Is this taught anymore?

Yes. (Addendum: found the per game stat)
by Kayo  (2024-03-31 12:42:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To verify, I went to the play-by-play fore the last two games of the season. The Irish drew offensive fouls in both games.

I stopped looking after being 2 for 2.

The Irish drew 0.6 charges per game. Not especially good, but not nothing.

The lesson to be learned is you need be a physical team to
by Irishdog80  (2024-03-31 02:49:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

go far in the NCAA Tournament. Play it, practice against it all season long and you learn how to win and finish games. Out talenting teams is not enough. And make sure you can hit enough threes to open the court for taking people off the dribble. I like what Shrewsberry is doing to get the Irish to that level.

Officiating was/is total garbage. *
by CliffClaven  (2024-03-30 21:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Judging from the Clemson/ Alabama game,
by Dillon  (2024-03-30 22:17:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

traveling has been legalized.

No kidding
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-03-30 22:36:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sears took four steps to the basket to make an assist.

They have been swallowing the whistle all year long. I
by Jeash  (2024-03-30 20:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

watch a lot of college basketball. They have been letting teams get away with grabbing and banging all year long.

OK . Maybe I'm wrong on the timing then. Other than X& ND
by beatgoeson  (2024-03-30 21:17:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't watched much, maybe owing to an NIL associated distaste w the changing collegiate BBall, I guess.