Still early, but appears the Bears dropped the 2017 draft...
by wiNDycityfan (2018-12-09 21:55:55)

Trubisky is either jacked up, rusty or flat out sucking. He’s all over the place and missing some simple throws. Just threw yet another INT.

Meanwhile Mahomes just had another phenomenal game, adding no look passes - you heard that right, no look passes - to his arsenal of left handed flicks or impeccable bombs and scrambles.

He’s got a coach who believes in him deeply, but it makes me wonder if he’ll grow into the kind of franchise the Bears thought they were drafting.

He did something Mahomes didn't do, beat the Rams.
by OITLinebacker  (2018-12-10 14:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Granted the Defense had something to do with that, and it was a home game not a road game, but he did enough to win. I am a huge KC fan and I love Mahomes, but I still have to give some credit to Chicago. By the way I think the coach is fantastic coming from KC and I think is a good pickup.

I'd love to see the Chiefs in the Super Bowl
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-11 09:13:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and not merely in order to ensure the Pats and Brady don't get back. This is the 50th anniversary of the Jets' upset win over the Colts in Super Bowl III, and next year will be the 50th anniversary of the final AFL season, capped by the Chiefs stomping the Vikings in Super Bowl IV. Neither the Jets nor the Chiefs -- the only AFL teams to win the Super Bowl -- have returned, and the Chiefs have managed only one AFC championship game appearance in the last 48 seasons. They are well past due.

The Monsters are glorious.
by BeijingIrish  (2018-12-10 13:13:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mitch is a god.

Bears fans seem to be far tougher on him than most others
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-10 10:44:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That doesn't mean they're wrong -- the same seemed to be true of Jay Cutler -- but that is my perception.

Also, the Bears have never drafted a true franchise quarterback. The closest they came was Sid Luckman, the only Bears' QB in the Pro Football HOF. Halas persuaded the Steelers to draft him and then trade him to the Bears.

I think its more a function of comparing him
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-12-10 10:53:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the other guys in the top of that draft (as WindyCity did), rather than crushing Mitch on the merits of his overall play.

Mitch is still completing 65% of his passes on the year, and what he does to extend plays and pick up yards on the ground is elite.

For me it's how many games has he won.
by irishsundevil  (2018-12-10 11:15:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the defense has an off day I have no faith in Mitch's ability to carry the team.

Nagy: "We gave the game ball to the city" ...
by CJC  (2018-12-10 10:15:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, it was intercepted by Des Moines.

It's premature to write off Mitch as bad.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-12-10 09:38:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's year 2 and year 1 in the system. Plus he's probably still a little bit injured. A few of those misses last night appeared to be not following through on the throw.

It is, but the throws he misses are something else...
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-10 09:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s just so raw and unpolished he makes his peers look like 10 year veterans.

I really wanted Deshawn Watson and I cringe at the thought of having to compare him to Mahomes for the rest of his career.

Oh well.

I agree, but I liked the conviction of Pace to go get a guy
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-12-10 10:23:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he believed in.

It's the kind of gumption that allows one to make things like the Mack trade happen or take a shot on a 30-something first time head coach.

This version of Bears football is so much more fun than anything we've seen for decades.

So he's Phillip Rivers, it could be worse.
by OITLinebacker  (2018-12-10 08:55:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

KC finally drafted a good QB in the nearly 40 years I've been alive. They've drafted/traded for some real clunkers. Yes they had a post-prime Joe Montana and Trent Green. The Bears at least have some hope with Mitch. He certainly better than just about any QB the Bears have trotted out in quite some time. As a KC fan, I'd kill for a defense like Chicago. Offense can go so far, but a Defense that keeps you in a game can advance you in the playoffs more often and a Offense that needs to score every other time they have the ball.

Still feeling the effects of injury? Bad misses via...
by Kbyrnes  (2018-12-09 23:48:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...overthrows.

I’ve watched every single snap this year...
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-10 09:51:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When the play ain’t there and he doesn’t tuck it and run, he may as well be blindfolded.

Great description of his play this year *
by 1978Irish  (2018-12-10 17:26:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. His progressions are bad.
by irishsundevil  (2018-12-10 09:55:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last night someone on twitter said anything over 20 yards for Trubisky is a hail mary. I laughed but it wasn't far off.

He averaged less than 4 yards a pass last night. That's very concerning and seems to be the trend all year.

Once the defenses scout Nagy’s smoke and mirrors playcalling
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-10 10:03:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it’ll be bad, really bad. Take out Tarik, and it’s a completely different game out there.

Trust me, I love the Bears, but I say it like I see it. At this point, he’s a poor’s man Rex Grossman, and we know how bad he was in the playoffs.

Do us all a favor and look up Grossman's stats and
by sprack  (2018-12-10 12:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

compare them to Trubisky's before you say such nonsense again.

Grossman's one year as a full-time starter, in that Super Bowl year of 2006, he threw 20 interceptions, had a completion percentage a full 10 points lower than Trubisky this year, was as mobile as the Venus de Milo (a whole 24 yards rushing for the year) and had a QB rating of 73.9.

He couldn't carry Trubisky's jock.

Why don’t you spare us all of your smug...
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-10 14:05:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At 23 games in as starters, they’re quite comparable actually - especially considering supporting cast, offensive philosophy and era.

Grossman vs Trubisky:

YPG: 195.5 vs 207.5
Completion: 55% vs 62%
TD/INT per 16 games: 18/17 vs 19/13
Winning%: Grossman 74% Trubisky 52%

All that said, the point I was trying to make had nothing to do with stats, but in terms of impact on a team’s playoff outcome and long term health. Yes Trubisky appears to have a higher ceiling and may turn out to be a much better story than Grossman ever was, but I still think he’ll inflict the same type of issues Grossman did as a starter during a stretch where all our defense needs is above-average QB play to win every game.

You may not agree with my observation and projections, and you certainly can use a better approach to make your point without the snark.

Edited to remove words I’d like to take back.

Nah, it's too much fun *
by sprack  (2018-12-11 11:42:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Uhh... did they not draft Cohen in the 4th round of '17? *
by NDKevin  (2018-12-09 23:39:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also Eddie Jackson in round #3
by Kayo  (2018-12-10 07:52:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Adam Shaheen in the 2nd round is TBD.

I should’ve said first pick. I understand the overall draft
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-10 09:49:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was actually solid.

How about that defense though?
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-09 23:32:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Memories of Tommie Harris, Briggs, Urlacher, Vasher and Tillman. Just wow. Unfortunately the lack of QB play may play things out exactly as it did back in 2006.

Man, people are overstating things here
by sprack  (2018-12-10 11:42:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, I know that's what Bear fans do.

But did you really just compare Trubisky to Rex Grossman?

Yes, he had his worst game of the year. You know who had an even worse game? Jared Goff.

It was what, 22 degrees in Soldier Field last night?

Jared Goff saw the kind of pressure and looks...
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-10 12:03:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trubisky doesn’t see in a season. Weather was not an excuse - it can in fact be a case for Goff’s play, not Trubisky’s. Wind had no impact on anybody’s play either.

I’ve seen Trubisky sail and one-hope more passes this season than I ever saw Jay Cutler do. Bears offense is Tarik, slants and crossing routes within 10 yds, checkdowns, and breakdown runs, because of his limitations. People talk about being in this system for less than a year as an excuse, when in fact it is the system that makes him appear better than what he is.

Nagy will continue make Trubisky look better-than-ordinary, but he’s as polished as a still standing 70’s swingset. It appeared to me he could reach Jim McMahon level. My money is on Bubby Brister.

If you'd rather have Cutler, then I can't help you
by sprack  (2018-12-10 12:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It might be wise to remember the guy is only in his second year.

I don't buy the weather excuse for one quarterback and not the other playing in the same game. I don't care where the Rams play at home.

On the season, by the way, after last night, Trubisky has 12 interceptions and Goff has 11.

I didn’t say I’d rather have Cutler
by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-10 12:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was just never happy with the pick and the pick is doing a lot to convince me we whiffed yet once again.

I see exact parallels in this team and 2006 Super Bowl - that could’ve won it all even with a game managing QB.

I hope I get back here 5 years from now and laugh at my own terrible prediction, and I’m trying hard to love the guy, but I just don’t see it.

Just please stop comparing him to Grossman
by sprack  (2018-12-10 12:28:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See my post to you above, it ain't even close.

His stat line is horrible. Pace really messed up that pick. *
by irishsundevil  (2018-12-09 23:03:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trubitsky stinks *
by arch_moore  (2018-12-09 22:46:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's not even close to NFL-caliber. *
by CJC  (2018-12-09 22:38:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was bad last night but I think he's played well this year *
by bill_brasky  (2018-12-10 08:54:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice opening 2nd half drive
by Kayo  (2018-12-09 22:30:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll be fine with him and with the draft pick if he becomes an excellent quarterback in his own right even if he's never as good as Mahomes.

Edit: Three interceptions on very bad throws tonight make him look like an amateur.