Rodgers is not close to the player he was.
by ndroman21 (2018-12-16 15:16:03)

He’s missing open receivers downfield all over the place.

He then acts like his poor throw was somehow their mistake.

yeah --- he's probably not a 1st ballot HOFer anymore *
by kdh325  (2018-12-24 13:54:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cutler-esque *
by El Capitan  (2018-12-18 16:24:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

R-E-L-A-X *
by Irishted  (2018-12-18 11:06:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Packers have issues aplenty but the rebuild can be quick
by Beer30Light  (2018-12-17 16:18:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you look at their results this season, six of the eight Packers losses were within one score of their opponent and if you watched the Redskins or Patriots games, they were both close games until late in the fourth quarter.

Also, at 5-8-1 the Packers have a +1 point differential on the year. At 7-7, the Dolphins have a -79 point differential.

Don't get me wrong, this is a poorly-coached and disappointing football team this year, but a few quick fixes and they're back in the playoffs next year.

First, we'll start with Rodgers. He needs discipline and a better offensive scheme. His footwork is sloppy, he's obsessed with not throwing interceptions, he's missing his targets and he's making the wrong reads on a lot of plays. That's all on Rodgers and can be fixed quickly a la McCarthy with Favre ten years ago.

He just needs a coach to put together a game plan that fits their current talent, makes him more disciplined in the pocket and then hopefully figures out how to get him more in sync with his WRs and reads.

Green Bay doesn't have a meddling owner, has arguably the best QB in football and has a head start on the candidate search, they'll have their choice of the litter.

Second is that offensive line needs help. They have a patchwork starter at right guard, no depth and injuries occur seemingly every year. They should sign a veteran guard for depth (they have ~$46M in free cap space in 2019), will likely draft another 1-2 guys in 2019 (they have 10 picks, presently) and will hopefully finally part ways with Jason Spriggs and the rollerskates he seemingly wears every Sunday.

Third is the edge rusher position. Pettine does a nice job generating pressure from everywhere, but they aren't fooling anyone with their pedestrian edge rushers. The 2019 draft has a ton of d-line and pass rush talent. The Packers have two 1st round draft picks and two 4th round picks in 2019, which means they'll have six selections in the first ~120 picks of the draft. Take two edge rushers with those picks and hope one pans out.

Fourth is developing young talent at WR and CB. Rookie DBs and WRs notoriously struggle in the NFL. Some would argue it's a combination of intellect (DBs have the lowest Wonderlic scores of any position) and adjusting to pro scheme. Generally in their third year, WRs will show their full potential and DBs generally follow suit.

The Packers spent their first and second round picks over the last two years on defensive backs: Kevin King, Josh Jones, Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson. Jones and Jackson appear to be struggling rookies while Alexander and King (if he can stay healthy) look the part already.

As for wide receivers, Green Bay drafted three this year. St. Brown looks the part despite his compatibility issues with Rodgers and Valdez-Scantling had a good run before teams figured out he has a tough time with physicality on the line of scrimmage.

With more seasoning, I'd imagine both groups will look much stronger next season.

Too long, didn't read?

If Green Bay does these four things in the offseason:

1. Finds a coach that can discipline Rodgers
2. Signs a veteran offensive guard
3. Drafts a few pass rushers in a pass rush-heavy draft and hits on one
4. Lets their young DBs and WRs develop in the next few games/upcoming offseason

don't be surprised if the 2019 NFC North Championship hats collect dust on store shelves in Wisconsin as fans aspire for greater accomplishments instead of being worn by fans and players celebrating the feat like they won the f*cking Super Bowl this year.

It's all in the hands of bossman Mark Murphy.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-12-17 18:39:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He altered the reporting structure to both have the GM and coach reporting to him and says he will be the one making the hire. There are concerns about the change in structure he made and many are skeptical about his qualifications to make the coaching hire.

The power structure is something old-time Packers fans remember from the pre-Bob Harlan days and the story didn't have a happy ending. It was 29 years between Super Bowl II and Super Bowl XXXI.

This is separate from the challenging of finding a good coaching for our aging quarterback who has lost his mojo and may not be able to get it back.

good
by jt  (2018-12-17 15:48:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

let you f-ckers find out what it's like to play with a mediocre qb, just like the rest of us have had to over the years.

Yes, I get that this is an ironic post for someone that grew up watching Joe Montana and Steve Young. Believe me, I had to find out the hard way.

Tom Clements
by IrishG  (2018-12-17 09:57:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting that Rodger’s poor production and inaccuracy have been the last two years, same time Clements has been gone. QB coach Jeff Hostler never played QB and has very limited experience coaching QBs. GB has talent. Their coaches suck (I like Pettine, Campen). Ron Zook is an embarrassment. McCarthy failed replacing assistants. Hire Fangio and quality assistants, draft Julian Love and get back to beating Chicago.

You guys have more talent deficiencies than just corner
by dwjm3  (2018-12-17 14:29:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Enjoy your rebuild

What does it say about the Bears, then...
by ndroman21  (2018-12-19 09:58:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that they managed a 1-1 record with an aggregate +6 against the Packers this year?

The Packers have lost one score games to the Bears, Rams, Seahawks, and Vikings, all playoff teams this year.

Their tie against the Vikings was essentially a result of early confusion over the changes to the roughing the passer penalty.

I don't think their talent is completely deficient or that they need a complete rebuild. My worry is that the front office looks to be in disarray, reverting to a management structure last seen during the Lindy Infante days.

My 2nd biggest worry is that Aaron Rodgers may be a larger presence that any coach., but that remains to be seen.

As much as I want to credit Clements but you
by Steelhop  (2018-12-17 12:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

could also say that it really is the lose of Van Pelt. Rodgers numbers in the games he played in 2017 were comparable to his career. I also think his knee injury in the 1st game has had a lingering effect this season. I know he stopped wearing a brace a few games ago but just seeing his decisions makes me wonder how healthy his knee is.

Rodgers expressed discontent publicly after losing Van Pelt
by Beer30Light  (2018-12-17 16:22:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's fair to say his departure hasn't helped things, for sure.

Edgar Bennett? Clements? Philbin? McAdoo? Not a word.

It's reasonable to think injuries have affected Rodgers this season, but he's shown in 2010, 2013 and 2014 that's he perfectly capable of elite quarterback play despite being injured with multiple concussions, a broken collarbone and a strained calf, respectively.

Ultimately he just needs better coaching.

I'm beginning to worry that the changes are with Rodgers...
by ndroman21  (2018-12-19 10:00:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree that McCarthy has been deficient, but I also wonder if Rodgers' ego isn't a factor.

For sure
by Beer30Light  (2018-12-19 17:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of Rodgers' improvement will have to come from a coach having him revisit proper fundamentals, technique and going through his progressions.

It's certainly not just bringing in a new coach that will draw up better plays that will fix everything. Rodgers' performance on Sunday was awful.

Zach Kruse on Twitter has a great video breakdown of several really bad plays for Rodgers, the worst of which is linked below.

Wasn't that a 3rd down, as well?
by ndroman21  (2018-12-19 18:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And he ignored the relatively easy throw to Graham?

Yes. It's a perfect example of all his issues this year. *
by Beer30Light  (2018-12-20 10:59:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jordy Nelson's absence seems to be a factor.
by OITLinebacker  (2018-12-17 09:35:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems to have been a factor for some time now. Jordy also wasn't the same after the injury, but there was a time when he caught anything Rodgers threw at him. He's not in Green Bay anymore, but the drop off was rather dramatic after he went down.

The total lack of imagination with a run game is also a killer. They used to have a fair running game with a Fullback/Hback and play action was the name of the game. It's just not there anymore.

All sorts of reasons the team is bad.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-12-17 13:24:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No edge rushing.
Best two interior DL out (Daniels, Clark).
OL problem at right tackle.
Aaron Jones got hurt yesterday early in the game and wasn't used enough before McCarthy got fired.
Jimmy Graham has been a disappointment. Tight ends needs sweeping out except for Tonyan.
#2 receiver went on IR many games ago (Alison).
Rodgers making bad throws (look at the overthrow when Cobb was open downfield)

I don't know who they will get to coach this team with a highly-paid future HOF QB who is aging and might be not amenable to change. Coaching the Browns sounds much better right now.

They got by on his talent for years
by Groundhog  (2018-12-17 02:15:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now his supporting cast is terrible thanks to years of bad drafts and a desire not to jump into the free agency waters. McCarthy and the front office should have been flushed a few years ago.

This isn't to say he's played great this year, because he hasn't.

Corrections welcome, but if he starts either of the last two
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-12-16 22:11:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

games, it will be the first game he has started in which the Packers were already out of the playoffs since 2008.

by wiNDycityfan  (2018-12-16 15:32:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bad. Ass.

Shocks me that the Packers are not snapping the ball faster to counter the rush. So passive it’s delicious.

Bear Down! Another score here and we leave these fuckers in the rear view mirror.