Harper/Machado
by IndianaLee (2019-01-04 13:03:21)

Yahoo Sports is reporting today the Nationals have upped the ante in a renewed effort to re-sign Bryce Harper.

In the same article, the rumor mill suggests that both Manny Machado and Bryce Harper have offers on the table from the White Sox.

Which all comes on the heels from an article the other day in which it was suggested that the Cubs have engaged in talks with Bryce.

On a personal level, I've grown bored with the soap opera of where they will land.

Philadelphia, the Dodgers, Yankees, all seemed like a done-deal at one point during the hot stove portion of this off-season.

So what say you? Where do these megastars end up playing ball when camps open up?

I hope the Yankees sign Cody Parkey. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-01-06 20:25:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hitting the foul pole does count as a home run. *
by bizdomer09  (2019-01-06 21:33:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My only prediction is that Harper won’t be worth it.
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-05 09:42:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s only had an OPS of .900 twice and he’s about to be paid as if he’s the best player in baseball. He had two outstanding superstar seasons with an OPS of 1.000. But the others were that of a plus player or a borderline All Star. He is not ARod or Pujols when they were up for free agency. I can’t recall a more overrated baseball player in my lifetime based on his current production.

I hope the Yankees stay away from these overpriced stiffs *
by Jvan  (2019-01-04 20:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I’d hate to see them trade Andujar in any case. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-05 11:21:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would love to get Harper
by DBCooper  (2019-01-05 07:37:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he would be superstar in NY.( not that he already isn’t) A lineup of Judge, Harper, Stanton would terrify pitchers. And I think they need him more then they want to let people believe.

I’m not sold on Machado as much. Don’t get me wrong, he is a great player, but his playoff comments and numbers scare me, they have Andujar who looks like a budding all star at 3B, and I get the feeling NY might be too much for him.

As I said below it looks like I was wrong, but I always thought the Yankees would go hard after Harper and he wanted to come to NY, so it seemed like it would work out.

Spend the money on another quality starter and the bullpen
by Jvan  (2019-01-05 15:26:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd rather have a contact hitter with speed to ultimately replace Gardner than Harper, a .250 hitter with 169 strikeouts. Hicks, who is over 30, can move to left when Florial is ready. Frazier will hopefully become a reliable fourth guy if he can stay healthy.

Edit: If they want to spend money on an outfielder nowrather than wait for Florial, get A.J.Pollock.

Agree on Machado. They will live to regret trading Andujar, especially to an AL team.

Pittsburgh
by strangebrew  (2019-01-04 19:27:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m kidding.

Wherever they go, I want Boras to over play his hand
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-01-04 17:03:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To the point they get way less money and way fewer years.

I want the Giants to wait it out
by jt  (2019-01-04 15:54:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then sign Nolan Arenado next offseason.

He’d be going from the best HR hitter’s park in baseball...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-05 11:10:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the worst.

If ever a “past performance” disclaimer were needed, it would be for Arenado in this scenario.

yes, but he is a complete player
by jt  (2019-01-05 15:26:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great third baseman.

Besides, he already rakes at SF and is used to playing there.

The Phillies might outbid everyone else
by Groundhog  (2019-01-04 15:02:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I highly doubt they will get both, but I think their offer might be well above those of the player's preferred destinations.

The Yankees don't need right-handed power in the lineup. They can be very patient with Machado and even give him a lowball offer, relatively speaking.

I've always thought that Harper's choice would be the Dodgers, but they don't really seem to be in the sweepstakes.

I'll be curious to see if one or both takes short deal with high average value, and then go back into the free agent pool in two or three years.

I think that last point
by HTownND  (2019-01-04 15:57:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will bear itself out.

I don't think the market for them, is as hot as they hoped or wanted, and they are trying to wait it out to build as much value as they can.

However, when it's all said and done, the math guys are telling them they aren't worth what they think they are, and here we are.

I want no part of Harper...
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-01-04 14:15:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless the Cubs flip Heyward for a half full bucket of Gatorade.

Agreed, it handcuffs you for making a move when you
by DomerJon  (2019-01-04 17:41:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Need it. A pitcher goes down and you have no options. Plus the cubs don't need another 235 hitter in the middle of the order.

Its looking like I will be wrong
by DBCooper  (2019-01-04 13:23:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I still expect the Yankees to come in late on Harper. Really surprised they focused more on Machado than Harper. They also do not seem to be offering alot for Machado either, and from most guesses it looks like the Yankees are making more money than ever before. It seems like Hal is a little cheaper than his dad.