Scheme, matchups, looks and fits ...
by CJC (2019-01-06 18:48:22)

Players still have to be able to make plays on offense.

And the Bears -- withe exception of 5-6 Tarik Cohen -- aren't very good at that.

On this most recent drive (just after the Eagles went up 10-6), Gabriel was in position, Trubisky -- for a change -- put the ball right where it was supposed to be, and Gabriel got physically manhandled by the DB, resulting in an incompletion.

On the next play, Trubisky had more than adequate protection, once again had to check down after plenty of time to find a receiver downfield, but instead had to check down, and the receiver wasn't able to make a defender miss in the open field to get to the first down line.

I don't care how good the defense is, you're not going to get far in the playoffs with an offense like this.

Oh, and Pro Bowler Kyle Fuller looks like he's playing on roller skates.

They need to get some better WRs
by Groundhog  (2019-01-07 01:02:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Having Burton would have helped, and Robinson had a decent game, but the rest of the group doesn't exactly make opposing defenses worry.

I don't think they have a great cap situation going into next season, not horrible, but fairly limited. It might be hard to make significant upgrades in that area.

I agree, skill talent is pretty average
by El Capitan  (2019-01-08 16:49:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Robinson is more of a 2 or at best "1b" type receiver. Cohen is a nice, gadget-y type player rather than a solid every down back. Sproles is probably a great comp for his up-side. Maybe Miller can grow into being a #1 type receiver.

After that, you've got the island of misfit toys -- Bruton is a TE who can't block much, Howard can't catch and limits his utility in this type of NFL offense. Gabriel seems limited, too.

If you assume Trubisky CAN throw for 4000+ yards next year, who's on the other side catching it?

Well, fuck. We decided to hitch our wagon to this sumbitch..
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-01-06 20:02:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and chickens do come home to roost.

Ryan Pace’s biggest mistake this offseason, an albatross of a contract (4yr, 60MM, 60% guaranteed), bites him in the ass.

I hope this motnerfucker doesn’t make it to the locker room. His bags should await him in the tunnel.

FWIW, the ball was tipped at the line of scrimmage.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-07 00:01:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Bears had already kicked three FGs. The Bears with 0-3 in the red zone. Were McCarthy or Kelly coaching?

The offense was a let down for sure. *
by irishsundevil  (2019-01-07 13:21:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Typo? That would be a lot of money for a kicker *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-06 20:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nope
by HTownND  (2019-01-06 20:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although only 9M is guaranteed

It was 4yr 15MM total, not 15MM for each of 4 yrs
by dfw  (2019-01-06 20:57:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With 9MM guaranteed. So 3.75 per year, not 15 per year.

I thought that was crazy
by HTownND  (2019-01-06 21:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. It appears Windy and I made the same mistake.

Thanks for the correction *
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-01-06 21:07:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

15MM *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-01-06 20:04:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Game manager Nagy got us again.
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-01-06 19:53:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I enjoyed this season more than any since 85. I am sad Andy Reid's spirit lives on.

Congrats to Golden.

Taking his final time out when he did ...
by CJC  (2019-01-06 20:03:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was Kelly-esque in its stupidity.

More bad plays by players not ready for primetime since my previous post:

Bellamy not adjusting to a well-thrown ball by Trubisky to be able to stay on his feet and score standing up.

Robinson failing to get his second foot down on a sideline attempted catch.

You're not playing CYO football, guys. When you have chances to make plays against the defending Super Bowl champs in the playoffs, you have to make them. You don't get an unlimited number of opportunities.

It's a shame that this defense will be severely limited by this offense for years to come.

And it's a wonder that Robbie Gould has time to do anything else besides make field goals, count his money and laugh at the Bears' perpetual kicking ineptness.

I thought Nagy's play calling was bad.
by irishsundevil  (2019-01-07 10:10:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At one point Jordan Howard had 8 carries with Mitch having 29 passing attempts. That was crazy to me. The dink and dunk passes weren't working and he had time. The Eagles secondary was full of backups and we didn't challenge them until it was too late.

The 2 point conversion was a bad call I didn't understand a stretch play that close to the goal line and you use the smallest guy on the team?

As usual it was like watching an ND game. Defense kept them in it but the offense was a major let down.

Looking forward...
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-01-06 20:06:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to year 9 when we can compete for a National Football Championship.

And the greatest goal post sniper of all time. *
by Kayo  (2019-01-06 19:52:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is remarkable
by dwjm3  (2019-01-06 20:13:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you tried to aim for the goal post you would not hit it that much.

Think Robbie Gould is missed? *
by IndianaLee  (2019-01-06 20:04:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope the Niners franchise him
by jt  (2019-01-06 20:33:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cannot let him leave.

Holy crap *
by HTownND  (2019-01-06 19:54:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unbelievable *
by irishsundevil  (2019-01-06 19:53:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post