Sox offered Machado $175 / 7 years. That seems...
by NavyJoe (2019-01-16 14:22:34)
Edited on 2019-01-16 14:22:43

low.

Machado’s agent blew a hole in that report *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-01-17 13:31:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on Lozano’s reputation
by brewcitydomer  (2019-01-18 06:43:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was behind the leak in the first place, albeit not the direct source.

I read his statement
by bizdomer09  (2019-01-17 22:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from which I infer 2 things only:
1) Whether there was any truth behind the 7/175 report or not, the agent did not feel it was in his client's best interest to have that # out there, and therefore decided he should aggressively do his best to snuff it out.
2) The Sox did not formally tender a legally binding and written offer for 7/175 to Machado, thereby rendering the notion that any such offer was made fully deniable.

Beyond that, whether the Sox floated (over the phone or by some other means) 175 for 7 or some other number, or whether Olney has a bad source or there was a bad leak, no one beyond a select few has any idea. My guess is that there's some truth to both sides, but that's just a blind guess.

I think you and bcd
by HTownND  (2019-01-18 09:42:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have it nailed.

I think the agents are getting antsy, the market they thought would be there, isn't there.

That said, I still expect the Phillies to overpay, because they are sitting on a gigantic pile of cash at the moment and need to spend it one someone to try and lure Trout to partner with in a few years.

I wonder how many opt-outs the contract has?
by Groundhog  (2019-01-17 02:16:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My guess is that the offer is probably higher, but with a player option after 3-4 years.

SI’s Jon Tayler calls it “Nothing Short of Insulting”
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-16 22:39:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Column is linked below.

Of the examples Tayler lists as evidence $175mm for Machado is an insult, I must ask if the teams, in hindsight, see the Heyward, Fielder, Price, Howard, Hamilton and Davis contracts as money well spent?

Partial text:

It’s a number that gets even more ridiculous against the context of MLB’s other mega-deals. It’s just under half the league’s largest ever contract—Giancarlo Stanton’s 13-year, $325 million extension with the Marlins, signed in 2015—and would tie for 18th-biggest all-time, alongside extensions of the same length and value signed by Felix Hernandez (with Seattle in 2013) and Stephen Strasburg (with the Nationals in ’16). It’s less overall money than, among others, Jason Heyward ($184 million), Prince Fielder ($214 million) and David Price ($217 million), and the same average annual value at $25 million a year as Ryan Howard and Josh Hamilton. Overall, it’s basically equal to, in length and money, the deal Chris Davis got from the Orioles in 2016.

The Blue Jays dumped Tulowitzki with $38M left on his deal..
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-21 22:06:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need a separate thread discussing all-time dead money cuts. When the Red Sox cut Panda in 2017, they still owed him $49M.

It's like when the Brewers offered a 5 yr/$100M deal to
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-16 21:18:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prince Fielder. It was a nice offer but all parties knew he hoped to find better. The Tigers stepped forward with a monster contract that ended up being a boat anchor and the Brewers avoided a nightmare.

Manny’s agent issued a statement now (link)
by dwjm3  (2019-01-16 17:58:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's more than JD Martinez got from the Red Sox last year
by sprack  (2019-01-16 14:55:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both in money per year and length.

At $25 mil per year he'd be the 11th highest paid player in baseball. It's roughly Joey Votto's current contract with the Reds. I'd argue Votto's a better hitter than Machado, but Machado's shortstop and not a first baseman, so they do have to pay a premium for that.

He's also 5 years younger than Martinez. *
by NDKevin  (2019-01-16 16:29:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is difficult to know what the actual offer is
by dwjm3  (2019-01-16 14:45:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The rumored offer has been listed as anywhere from 175-250 million

The $175M number is from Buster Olney *
by NavyJoe  (2019-01-16 15:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah and he is contradicting his ESPN colleague
by dwjm3  (2019-01-16 16:02:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who says it is 8 years and roughly 250.

Hector Gomez from mlb network has since doubled down on the 8 years as well. The reporting during this whole saga has been brutal.

8 years for $250 million would be in the right ballpark
by 1978Irish  (2019-01-16 17:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you can sell him on playing with his brother in law and friend.

The White Sox have traditionally claimed to be going after big name free agents, but low balling them - which 7 years for $175 million would be given the market.

Is it lowballing given the market though?
by ndark  (2019-01-21 10:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems as though the market is undergoing a correction. Those huge contracts mentioned above and others like it are making owners more cautious.

Yeah
by HTownND  (2019-01-21 12:55:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

8 years at 30 million plus is a lot for anyone in today's game.

There are 4 players making more than 30M per year, and one of them is a giant albatross of a contract.

I don't think that's the bar for these guys.

If I were GM/King, I'd offer Machado something like

Year 1 - $35M
Year 2 - $35M
Year 3 - $35M
Year 4 - $30M
Year 5 - $25M
Year 6 - $25M

Then a few option years.

He'd be the highest paid player in baseball over the next 3 years (or in the top 2-3) with a rampdown starting in his 30 year old season (year 4).