Yankees sign Ottavino
by DBCooper (2019-01-17 13:57:21)

Why even have starting pitchers anymore

Why even have short ballplayers
by brewcitydomer  (2019-01-18 06:42:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Yankees have such an unusually tall roster that I think they’re specifically targeting players 6’3 and above now.

Short players got No reason to live *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-18 10:45:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like it *
by Jvan  (2019-01-17 21:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when on, unhittable
by bsuryn  (2019-01-18 23:27:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a Rox fan, have watched many a game when he is basically unhittable because his slider has so much break.

the down side is he has days when he cannot control the slider. also, any walk or single can easily be a double because his motion is so slow he is easy to steal against.

Sounds like Betances
by Flann  (2019-01-22 09:52:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great stuff, occasionally just completely loses command. Easy to steal on.

I’m not at all sold on their starters.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-17 20:47:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they’ll need all of that bullpen to be successful, because the starting rotation is full of question marks:

- Can Luis Severino recover from last season’s second half melt-down?

- How much does CC Sabathia have left, especially after undergoing off-season heart surgery?

- Can JA Happ come close to last years’ 17 wins at age 36?

- Will Masahiro Tanaka ever get over his career long yo-yo of alternating good-and-terrible outings?

- Can James Paxton prove he’s capable of winnning more than 10 or 11 games?

- Can the Yankees get any kind of trade value for the ever-disappointing Sonny Gray?

With these issues, and others that will inevitably crop up, the Yankees are going to need all the bullpen depth they can get.

All are legitimate concerns, especially CC
by Jvan  (2019-01-17 21:47:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Yanks have lots of good looking arms in the minors, so hopefully one or two can break through this year.

I am convinced that bullpenning is a phase, not a trend
by sprack  (2019-01-17 15:40:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Yankees, of all teams, don't need to engage in that crap, and I suspect they won't.

Yes, the Rays won 90 games, but I would bet if they had their druthers they druther have a solid starting rotation.

You still can't have too many good relievers regardless.

I agree with you. It isn't sustainable long term. *
by DomerJon  (2019-01-17 18:04:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You may certainly be right
by DBCooper  (2019-01-17 15:51:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but i think it is where the league is going. I think eventually you will see 8/9 guys in the bullpen, all able to go 1 or 2 innings every other day. Maybe a few starters will be left for 5 innings, but I wouldnt even be surprised if teams only have 2 or 3 of those.

As for Yanks, they lost Robertson and got Ottavino, so pretty equal trade IMO.

Here's the problem with that strategery
by sprack  (2019-01-19 10:24:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There simply aren't that many good relievers in baseball. Of those 8 or 9 relievers, on a typical team 5 of them are journeymen. If everyone did the same thing, teams would truly be down to the dregs.

And in the postseason, if you have one reliever who's off, that screws everything up immediately. If you have 2 that are off, fuhgeddaboutit. It's exactly what happened to the A's in the wildcard game last year. It's no better than a starter getting pounded, so what's the gain?