Roy Halladay gave up one less ER in the postseason than Mo
by DBCooper (2019-01-23 14:50:29)

In reply to: Bias? They pitch 60 innings a year  posted by Brew City Domer

In 103 less innings

Meh, Rivera was a one trick pony.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-25 10:42:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, take away that cutter and what have you got?

I’m kidding, of course. I doubt we’ll ever see another one like Mo again.

Rivera’s postseason record might be the best by any athlete
by bizdomer09  (2019-01-23 18:38:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in any sport, especially considering how expansive it was - a body of work equivalent to well more than a full regular season. How he managed to find that higher postseason gear and consistently sustain it over that many years is beyond me.

Gehrig's career WS OPS of 1.241 raises question whether...
by Scoop80  (2019-01-24 12:11:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rivera has all-time best NYY postseason resume. Gehrig's OPS would be even higher had he not had an off Series in 1938, when he may've been in early stages of ALS.

As to other sports, it's pretty damned hard to compare T. Brady's postseason record (or that of a QB we had at ND in my day) to Rivera's. IIRC, MJ was NBA Finals MVP in all 6 of Bulls' title seasons, and he carried da Bulls to 2 conference finals against the Bad Boys before the title run.

Rivera had an awe-inspiring postseason record. How it compares to others' records involves considerable subjectivity.

I can never argue against Jordan
by bizdomer09  (2019-01-25 07:35:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He played both sides of the ball for the whole game. In that sense Rivera can’t compare. Jordan essentially dominated the NBA playoffs for the ‘90s. Even before the Bulls broke through against the Pistons, Detroit’s entire game plan was built around Jordan.

I can give you Gehrig for the World Series, but his playoff record (about 150 ABs) is not extensive enough to compare to what Rivera did in 140 innings across nearly 100 appearances. Of course it’s not at all Gehrig’s fault that there was only one playoff round then. Had he been given the opportunity to replicate what he did a few more times over across 700 plate appearances like Jeter, maybe he would have been able to maintain that same level of performance as we see with Rivera, but it’s highly unlikely.

If we are talking about most impressive individual cumulative playoff stat line, I’ll stand by my original answer of Rivera. He controlled the part of the game he could influence (9th and sometimes 8th from the mound) beyond what anyone has ever done in any sport. If we’re picking someone who controlled entire playoff seasons, then that opens up the conversation and I would go with Jordan. Sorry Bill Russell there were 9 teams in the NBA when you played.

MJ/Russell; Montana/Brady - no one else is even close *
by Irish2003  (2019-01-25 02:53:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He allowed 111 men on base over 141 innings with a 0.70
by voidoid  (2019-01-23 22:23:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

earned run average in the postseason. That many innings is almost two seasons for a closer. Absolutely remarkable dominance.

more people have been on the moon than scored on him
by DBCooper  (2019-01-24 09:27:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the postseason

12 men on moon, 13 runs allowed (11 earned) (link)
by jclay  (2019-01-26 18:51:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So basically Eckersley's 1990 season and
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-24 09:18:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

name-your-second-best-reliever-season-of-all-time put together. Against the best teams the sport has to offer for two seasons.

That's insane *
by Brew City Domer  (2019-01-23 15:09:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post