Bearse fans.
by Porpoiseboy (2019-01-25 15:13:38)

Our HC is bald and wears a visor. Even when it's chilly.

He can wear a wide-brimmed sun visor beach straw hat...
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-01-26 07:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for all I care, as long as he continues what he started and takes this franchise to its rightful place.

33 years ago today
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-26 10:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not as close as the 46-10 score suggests. Full game at the link.

I lived in the Chicago area at the time.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-26 22:06:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was all Bears, all the time. Who knew then that this version of the team would never get back to the Super Bowl and only got back to the conference championship game one other time?

It’s what makes
by HTownND  (2019-01-27 21:16:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The run by the Patriots all the more impressive.

And Coach Ditka so overrated.
by dfw  (2019-01-28 10:31:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am a bears fan and I now root for them to win a super bowl more to get the 85 Bears off the radio/tv than actually wanting the team to win.

And Mike Singletary was the 3rd best linebacker on that defense.

An example of Ditka's meatheadedness I had overlooked
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-28 12:02:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On YouTube, I watched bits and pieces of the Bears' 1984 home loss to Dallas (linked). This was a big deflation, as the Bears entered the game 3-1, Summerall and Madden made a then-rare appearance in Chicago, and it was supposed to be the Bears' big coming-out party as a new powerhouse. It also was the first coaching meeting of Tom Landry against Ditka, his former player and longtime assistant. Statistically, the Bears outplayed the Cowboys, but after a very exciting first half which ended with Dallas up 17-14 (and with the Bears squandering a scoring opportunity with poor clock management at the end of the half), the second half was mostly a dud. The Cowboys kicked 2 FGs to go up 23-14.

The Bears had one last drive late in the game. They needed a TD and a FG, with an onside kick between one or the other, to win it. Madden was pointing out that the Bears could've gone for a FG and then try the onside kick. Instead, when the Bears got 1st and goal, they tried for the end zone 4 times. On 4th down from the 5, Rusty Lisch underthrew Willie Gault, whose feet were in the end zone but the ball never crossed the plane. Dallas took a knee and won 23-14.

I don't think Bellichek could win NFL games with
by 1978Irish  (2019-01-28 15:15:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rusty Lisch at QB.

I certainly don't think Belichick would have eschewed the FG
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-29 12:37:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Lisch at QB.

He went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008.
by dfw  (2019-01-28 18:29:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Missed the playoffs, but still pretty damn good.

Never saw a team as intimidated as the Pats were that day.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-26 21:14:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None of them wanted any part of what the Bears were dishing out.

Pure nasty.

The Pats weren’t mentally ready to play the Bears defense...
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-01-27 10:48:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it was evident right off the bat.

Tony Eason ditching the ball as quickly as he could, Stanley Morgan’s two dropped passes (one in the redzone), and Craig James’ “strip” fumble were clear signals they had not recovered from the physical butt whipping earlier that season at Soldier Field.

The Pats defense stood tall for a quarter and a half, but they were on the field forever, and the steady diet of Suhey and Gault broke their will. By the time Jimmy Mac snuck it in to make it 30-3 early in the 3rd Quarter, Raymond Berry may as well have thrown in the flag.

In today’s NFL this was probably as incompetent game plan as there was. Bears brought in 9 on 3rd downs - and everybody knew it. Tony Eason had 2.5 seconds before he started running for his life - with nowhere to go to upfield. Brutal.

It would be logical to throw out my VHS tape of the game
by bizdomer09  (2019-01-26 13:52:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

given that the entire game is on YouTube and I haven’t seen a VCR in at least 10 years. But I know I never will.