That turned out to be a good trade for the Bucks
by sprack (2019-01-31 15:32:31)
Edited on 2019-01-31 15:36:56

In reply to: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar forced Milwaukee to trade him  posted by 1978Irish

Interestingly, the Bucks had the exact same record in the year before the trade and the year after. The reason was that Kareem by that time was close to being a one man team after Oscar Robertson retired. The Bucks ended up getting Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman. The Bucks ended up retiring the numbers of Winters and Bridgeman, so the trade did work out for them in the long run.

Yes, Kareem won 5 championships with the Lakers and had a brilliant career there, but he was hardly a one man team.

And as HTownND says below, Kareem kept it private between him and the Bucks management. He also gave them a full year's notice before his contract expired.

As a Bucks fan, I was not in favor of Winters' jersey
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-31 16:56:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being retired. I was at the Raptors game earlier this month and was reminded that the Bucks already have eight (8) retired jerseys (will be nine when they retire Marques Johnson's number in March). Possibly the same feeling for retiring Lanier's jersey.

This, for a team that has only won one NBA title. The Bucks haven't been to an NBA finals since Jabbar was traded and they haven't even won a playoff series since 2001.

Indeed
by HTownND  (2019-01-31 15:43:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it's not like the Lakers started winning right away

They didn't make the playoffs his first year in LA
Then they had a few first round, second round and Conf Finals losses before the 79-80 season culminated in the title with Magic and Wilkes. It wasn't until his 5th season in LA that he won a title (after having spent 6 in Milwaukee)

It took a little while for all the pieces to get there (they also changed coaches as West completed his transition from the bench to the front office).

Also
by HTownND  (2019-01-31 15:51:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've always thought it fascinating how the rich got richer in the early 80s.

The Lakers had a core of Jabbar, Magic and Wilkes that was winning and competing for titles.

And yet they were still able to draft guys like Worthy and trade for Byron Scott.

Who knew that #1 pick from Cleveland would be #1 overall (to get Worthy)

This reminds that Red Auerbach whined when the Lakers
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-31 16:53:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

won the title and then had the #1 overall draft pick.

I didn’t know about that
by HTownND  (2019-01-31 17:54:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I remember being amazed upon doing some digging, to find out how the Lakers got Worthy.

I had assumed they tanked a year with Magic and Jabbar, but didn’t realize they got it because of a trade. It was an amazing master stroke by the Lakers.