Worst MLB contracts per ESPN
by Groundhog (2019-02-01 01:18:34)

1. Chris Davis (4 years $92M left)

2. Miguel Cabrera (5 years $154M left) Will be paid $32M per year at ages 39 and 40

3. Albert Pujols (3 years $87M left)

4. Eric Hosmer (7 years $123M left)

5. Johnny Cueto (3 years $70.4 left) Likely won't pitch this season after Tommy John surgery

6. Jason Heyward (5 years $118.5 left)

It is no wonder that teams no longer want to give out longterm deals to older players.

No love for Bobby Bonilla? (link)
by KarlHungus  (2019-02-08 12:52:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heyward only seems old.
by bizdomer09  (2019-02-01 20:15:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's 29. He was 25 when they signed him. Entering his prime. Oops.

Still, there's the Game 7 rain delay speech. I like him. But clearly he has not produced.

He swings left handed like a natural right handed hitter
by 1978Irish  (2019-02-04 10:23:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who taught himself to hit left handed so he could switch hit. Except he can't hit right handed.

Does he need glasses. I can't think of another reason why he would be so bad after being a good hitter. I assume he was a good hitter with Atlanta. I didn't really watch him when he played there.

Don't forget the Jeff Samardzija contract. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-02-01 13:18:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Duly note one thing on both Harper and Machado
by sprack  (2019-02-01 11:42:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Each is only 26 so are not older players. A 7 year contract in each case is reasonable. A ten year contract is ridiculous.

Pujols is signed until he's 41! What the hell did the Angels expect him to do at that age?

Are they still paying Josh Hamilton, too, BTW?

On Davis, it's like giving that contract to Rob Deer, because Davis is a latter day Rob Deer. The guy was below the Mendoza line as late as 2014 before he signed his current contract. And because of Davis's contract, the O's could't afford to keep Machado. Dan Duquette had to be one the worst GMs in baseball history.

Padres
by IndianaLee  (2019-02-01 06:26:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Latest word is that the Padres are now in the mix for Harper's services. Will he and Machado be able to get in enough spring training at-bats?