Flyers question (Ty, NdFlyer, steelhop, etc)
by meatwhistle (2019-02-02 18:13:32)

This is finally a fun team to watch, but now what?

Aside from Simmonds, who seems a lock to be traded, what else do you think they could/should do going into the trade deadline?

Big decisions ahead ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-02-03 10:25:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not sure if there are other worthwhile guys who are "locks" but they have to figure out now if it's a rebuild or, instead, adding free agents this summer. Assuming Hart is in fact ready to take over, it's probably the latter.

I believe it’s the latter
by meatwhistle  (2019-02-03 14:04:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hart is really good. Lindblom and JVR getting hot make Wayne a redundancy. I love Simmonds, but his game is limited and he’s gonna start breaking down.

I’d keep everybody else intact and take a run at Panarin in the summer. I doubt he’d come to Philly, but it’s a nice pipe dream.

Hart looks very good ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-02-03 14:16:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I'd let it play out a little further. I do think Panerin is a pipe dream because I doubt Philly is where he wants to land. I'd like him in Boston (very much) but the competition is going to be stiff. He'll probably be looking at least for Draisaitl money. They have cap room and I think the only RFA's are Konecny and Provorov. Not sure about the next year, however.

I think is the general view. Hart has played average hockey
by Steelhop  (2019-02-04 16:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is just way better than the turd the Flyers were getting prior to him being called up. But, he looks really good from what I've seen. He is still young, they are still sheltering him. He has played really good given his age, experience, etc. Hopefully, he can continue to that play and even improve. As a Flyers fan, I've seen this before so I'm hesitant to say the goalie position has been solved.

I know the Flyers are only 7 points away from the last WC spot but that is only because of this 7 game winning streak and the Blue Jackets 5 game losing streak. They should come back to earth. Outside of Saturday, their offense has not played great over the streak. They've just gotten some breaks. I would be mad if this streak makes them buyers at the deadline instead of sellers.

Being sellers, I think Simmonds is as good as gone at the trade deadline. Someone will overplay for him.

I think someone will try to get Gudas. He's played very good and provides a good vet presence that I'd like to see on the team next year. But, if a great offer comes, you take it. Someone will likely also make a play for Ghost. Unless it is someone obscene, then I'd say no to that.

In off season, I think you are going to see the Flyers do anything they can to get out from under Voracek's contract if they can. Probably a trade with another middling team looking to trade a guy with a similar contract the needs a change of scenery Voracek needs.

Additions, they absolutely need a sniper on the wings. They struggle to score because they have too many pass first type of guys like G and not enough snipers. Depending on what happens to Gudas, the might need a Veteran defenseman to settle the kids. Even if Gudas stays, they might try to get another one.

I think of the biggest underrated questions the Flyers will have is whether to have Hart/Stoli as their goalie rotation next year or bring in a vet to back up Hart.

I actually like the way Hart has played ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-02-04 18:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

better than I thought, although as I said I'd give it more time. I'm pretty critical based on my G background and focus but what I've noticed that I wasn't expecting is a generally steady mental game. FWIW he's got better raw skills IMHO than Stolarz and he's at least as solid on fundamentals. I think most scouts would tell you he has a higher upside. As for bringing in a vet, Bobrovsky is the only pending UFA I'd bother with and there are risks there, as well as other "issues", including him not wanting to be the guy fronting for Hart. Lehner is a UFA but I'd be surprised if the Isles don't take a run at him - and I keep waiting for his injury history to crop up again. The rest? Smith, Talbot, Varlamov, etc are a visit to the craps table. Gudas is very unlikely to draw a great offer from anybody in their right mind. Ghost might. If you're looking to dump Voracek that's diving into rebuild mode rather than compete now, IMHO.

I'm probably being more harsh on him
by Steelhop  (2019-02-05 08:30:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than it seems or really believe. Being a Flyers fans for the last 30+ years hasn't really demonstrated that one should have faith in a long term solution in the goal. Don't get me wrong, he's better than I thought but subconsciously I feel like the rug will get pulled out at any second.

As for Voracek, I don't think it would signal a rebuild but resetting the team. I just think they are going to trade him to a team with a similar player talent wise. They should look at guys on teams that like Voracek need a change of scenery. I don't follow other teams enough to figure out who that is. They should focus on teams that need a player that is more of a distributor of the puck that a scorer (which JV is) whereas the Flyers need a guy that can score goals verse distribute the puck - this becomes pretty evident during the playoffs when the Flyers (when they make it) have struggle scoring goals.

I definitely understand any Flyers fan ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-02-05 09:44:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

needing a lot of proof that things are settled between the pipes. The track record is absurd. I'm not sure who would e available for pulling the plug on Voracek. That's usually the kind of deal that focuses on prospects/picks.

Any thoughts on where Q will land? *
by meatwhistle  (2019-02-03 18:19:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No idea - he can pretty much sit back ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-02-04 08:55:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and look for the openings starting in April. I'd guess NJ, FL, Anaheim are in play, at least. Not sure he'd touch OTT if it opens.

I agree. Flyers might be in play
by Steelhop  (2019-02-04 16:49:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

though who knows. Knowing the Flyers they'll screw it up some way.