Jerry Reinsdorf Scorecard Update
by CJC (2019-02-04 10:34:42)
Edited on 2019-02-04 12:47:13

Prompted by noting in passing that the 100-loss White Sox have the 13th-best farm system among the 30 MLB teams according to Keith Law.

I don't follow this stuff closely; for all I know, Law could be completely off the mark.

But the far more likely explanation is that this is exactly what you should expect when you entrust your rebuild to the same two idiots who presided over a decade or more of mediocrity or worse.

Even the White Sox 2005 World Series champions included a starting lineup with four position players who weren't with the organization the previous season. I haven't done the research, but I'd imagine that's quite rare.

Talk about catching lightning in a bottle, although it certainly explains Kenny Williams' perpetual approach to "building" a winner by the baseball equivalent of keeping one and drawing four in a game of five-card draw.

Excluding the six NBA championships won on the back of Michael Jordan, whom Reinsdorf inherited when he bought the Bulls in 1985, here's what his teams have accomplished in 59 seasons (including the current NBA season):

White Sox, 37 seasons:

1 World Series championship (2005)
1 American League championship (2005)
5 Divisional titles (1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008)
three post-season series victories -- thank God all three came in the same season.

Yes, boys and girls, in 37 seasons of Jerry Reinsdorf's stewardship, White Sox fans have experienced a post-season series victory in just one of those 37 seasons.

Bulls, 22 Jordan-less seasons:

1 conference finals appearance (2010-11)
2 division titles (2010-11; 2011-12)

Seriously, has there ever been a more incompetent owner over so many seasons in U.S. history?

Fifty-nine Jordan-less seasons -- one overall (World Series) championship.

James Dolan of the Knicks is the worst by far *
by 206er  (2019-02-06 15:04:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd say Bob Nutting
by Groundhog  (2019-02-06 01:54:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But his ownership is an actual scam to line his pockets as opposed to incompetence. He doesn't even try to compete.

Bud (and Wendy) Selig were worse than Reinsdorf.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-02-05 22:13:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bud ran the Brewers from 1970 - 1998. His daughter ran the club from 1998 - 2004.

0 World Series championships
1 American League championship (1982)
2 Divisional titles (1981 (split-season), 1982)
0 Wild Card appearances
One post-season series victory if I have this right,

He has a heart of gold and kept the Brewers in Milwaukee and got a new park, but let's contrast that with Mark Attanasio, who has owned the club for 14 years, less than half the time of the Seligs:

0 World Series championships
0 American League championships
2 Divisional titles (2011, 2018)
1 Wild Card appearances (2008)
Two post-season series victories if I have this right,

As a Tribe fan, I want Jerry to keep doing Jerry
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-02-05 14:33:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's scary to think how he has made the White Sox a small market club, especially given the Cubs stumble/bumble routine until the very recent past.

The more damning consideration is that Dick Jacobs jumped at the chance to go to the AL Central when it was created----by all rights the White Sox should normally own this division based on their market placement alone vs. the competition.

a more incompetent owner - Nominate the Ford Family, Lions *
by JC  (2019-02-05 12:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Better hope Dan Gilbert doesn't buy the Tigers
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-02-05 14:28:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take a look at his record as an owner:

A) With Lebron
B) Without Lebron

And, look at his "handling" of the front office staffs he's had with the Cavs. I believe the term you're looking for rhymes with "clusterduck".

I will defer on the reasons for the ChiSox matters
by Chuck84  (2019-02-04 11:55:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And, I do not claim to much a Bulls follower, but ...

How in the hell has John Paxson (as fondly as we all think of him) kept his job?

Rhetorical, of course.

Why did Reinsdorf show slavish loyalty to Krause for...
by Scoop80  (2019-02-04 21:51:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

18 years? What made Reinsdorf think in late 90's that Krause could (metaphorically) tear down this temple and rebuild it in 3 days? Other than the Pippen/Grant '87 draft, what was there in Krause's background that justified such faith? B. Sellers, S. King (a lottery pick IIRC), Will Vanderbilt, Jeff Sanders--there were lots of whiffs in there.

Replacing Collins w/ Jackson proved to be a brilliant move. Clumsily forcing out Jackson and bringing in Tim Floyd--not quite so brilliant. Krause's ability to make Charlie Weis look like a people person by comparison and his obsessive secrecy to the point of paranoia should also be recalled.

As to Reinsdorf's other team, his eagerly joining the "fireater" group of owners leading up to the '94 labor debacle still rankles. After nearly reaching the WS in '93, the Sox were in 1st at the time of the stoppage. They had a brilliant run of #1 picks (McDowell, Ventura, Thomas, and Fernandez) from 1987-90 that could've formed the core of a long-term powerhouse in the 90's. His hirings of LaMont and Bevington in that era didn't help, either.