Baseball, about to jump the shark
by HTownND (2019-02-06 14:55:56)

The universal DH is on the table.

That would be the end for me. You guys can have it.

Every level of baseball, down to most kids leagues, has
by 84david  (2019-02-09 20:34:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

changed to the DH. Kids, BR, Pony, HS, college, and 5 levels of minor leagues all adopted it. Its been an accepted rule
of baseball for 40 years.

I wont mention AL dominance in attendance, TV ratings, WS, ASGs and interlague play
because thar wouldnt be fair.

I know it's at the lower levels
by HTownND  (2019-02-12 12:42:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Including the levels I played at, but the one where it hasn't is MLB.

As for the other shit, I don't care, but there is a strategy to NL baseball that will simply go away, and if it does, you guys can have it.

As an AL fan, couldn't care less
by sprack  (2019-02-07 14:32:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just don't go with that minimum 3 batter bullshit or the idiotic runner on second in extra innings thing.

Agreed. Far more abhorrent.
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-02-07 15:04:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Making rules to get people who don't like baseball to hopefully like baseball. Colossal stupidity.

Here is my question
by HTownND  (2019-02-07 14:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many people think or thought baseball was broken that it needs all of these fixes?

They seem to be coming up with stupid shit to fix something that people weren't upset about.

Are there really large swaths of people that think baseball games are too long?

Attendance is down
by dwjm3  (2019-02-07 15:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Attendance was below 70 million for the first time in 15 years last season. I don’t know if that is a one-off or a harbinger of things to come but I do think it is worth noting.

Attendance is down because of tanking.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-02-08 08:52:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baseball seasons/games are built around hope. Cubs fans could tell you that for almost a Century as they filed in every season early, but tickets got easier and easier to come by as their chances wilted.

How many teams were totally out of any race (save for the race to the bottom) by the end of April? I would argue that last year most fans knew before Memorial Day that their team would have no chance what so ever on over half the teams in the league. How many fans knew going in to the season that it was going to be a long shot for their club to even make .500? I know there were a fair few who knew almost without a doubt that their team would lose over 85 games on the season before it started. Those fans aren't going to buy season tickets, they're not going to plan a trip to see their team play, they're not going to pay for overpriced tickets and concessions. They're going to let their owners know they don't like the direction their team is going by not showing up.

This offseason is just another example of the hubris of the owners. Nobody is willing to spend money to hire a big name free agent to get their fans excited and give them hope that they should show up at the park. They are simply looking at the numbers and feel that they can still turn a profit by having a lower payroll and spin a rebuilding year by trotting out a few young guys and "value" vets. That said, it's mostly boring baseball. The metrics don't seem to care as much about putting a ball in play so strikeouts are treated the same as a can of corn or a line out or a ground out. The problem is that without contact, without balls in play, it's boring. Toss in the use of the shift and the unwillingness to bunt or adjust as hitters and even the balls in play aren't that exciting. There are fewer chances for an error, a Texas League hist, a duck snort, a ground ball with eyes, or legging out an infield single. In other words boring.

If I am going to spend $100 or more to bring a couple of kids to a game, I at least want them to see some action. If it rolls to the 6th inning with a 3-0 score because one team hit a couple of solo shots and there are 4 hits, and all of 5 base runners in the game, the kids will long ago have gotten bored and moved on to other things because the game doesn't really even resemble the game they play on the weekends.

Ownership needs to do more in the stadium to make it fan friendly. If they aren't going to win they need to at least find a way to make fans show up. Have a great pitcher so people want to see him start, have a hitter that is amazing to watch, have some fast guys who are going to go crazy on the bases. Give the fans a reason to go to the games.

Trying to speed up pitchers and monkeying with the mechanics of the game isn't going to change that. The play on the field is still boring, speeding it up isn't going to help significantly.

Were your Royals tanked intentionally or just fall apart?
by sprack  (2019-02-08 12:34:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a serious question because I don't know and am asking.

From World Series champs to absolutely awful in the blink of an eye.

The young ace pitcher was killed in a wreck
by OITLinebacker  (2019-02-10 21:23:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then they went cheap on the bullpen, couldn’t sign a decent starter and essentially wasted a group of talented players in 16. They tried and failed to recapture the glory in one last try in17, and then just wouldn’t shell out the money for the free agents in ‘18. Hosler took an extra million per year to go to San Diego, I guess the better weather made up for the higher COL out there because it certainly wasn’t for being on that much better of a team. Cain went to Milwaukee followed by Moose and with that most of the core offense was gone.

The death of Ventura really ended the long term hopes of the Team because he had a chance to be that special top end starter that the team needed badly and will never sign as a free agent. Then they traded a fair part of the rest of the farm to try to squeeze one more playoff run but the back end of the pen fell off a cliff when they let Davis and Holland walk for a song.

They are a few years away as the next core is down winning it all in AA ball and probably won’t all matriculate up to AAA by the end of this season. Another good draft year might give them hope in 21.

This years team will steal a lot of bases, have a solidif not top 5 defense and likely have a terrible if not horrific on base %, runs scored, blown saves, and starters ERA. If some of ythe old vets and free agents play up to or above career years and some of the younger players have breakout years they could hang around in a very bad division before likely selling hard at the trade deadline in the hopes of geetting enough long term talent to fill the farm gaps enough to make another run. They could be the worst team in baseball next season but I figure they’ll finish 3rd in the Central with just enough hope to think that maybe next year isn’t so far away.

Blaming the attendance drop on the length of games is
by sprack  (2019-02-07 18:34:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 687.

The weather last spring was absolutely terrible in the northeast and midwest. And a one year drop does not create a trend.

No one is stopping anyone from leaving in the 7th inning. Dodger fans have been doing that since the team moved west in 1958.

Linked is a rational analysis from Forbes. Note that game length isn't mentioned.

I'm with you. The whole thing is invented and silly
by sprack  (2019-02-07 15:08:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The next actual fan I ever hear who complains about the length of the games will be the first. And hey, could the number of commercials between innings in the postseason and during the pitching changes have anything to do with the length of games?

I remember Tommy Lasorda saying much the same thing - effectively, is there something wrong with spending more time at the ballpark?

Manfred is the second coming of his mentor Bud Selig with all kinds of dumb ideas.

Same reply I made above
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-02-07 15:05:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The commissioner is a joke. He wants to "fix" baseball for people who don't like baseball. How about those of us who do? Oh, screw us.

I like baseball. I don't like 5 pitches in 15 mins.
by TripleDomer  (2019-02-07 16:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The greatest problem with baseball is the number of pitching changes and the time each one takes. Instead of the 3 batter rule, I'd do the following:
- reduce roster size (yes, I'm aware the MLBPA wouldn't let that occur);
- standardize field and bullpen mounds;
- take away on the field warm-up pitches; and
- go to split screen ads.

Limit the number of pitchers on the roster
by sprack  (2019-02-07 18:52:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Limit the number to ten. The extra 3 or 4 teams use now are all relievers. You can't make as many pitching changes if you don't have as many pitchers.

Sure. Extra position players don’t bother me.
by TripleDomer  (2019-02-07 23:21:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you do that, pitchers might pitch more and runs might go up without lowering the mound.

Yep. I'm really getting to hate this guy *
by sprack  (2019-02-07 15:10:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two of the top 5 stars can't even sign contracts *
by 206er  (2019-02-07 09:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s not true. And neither are top five players.
by Tdiddy07  (2019-02-09 17:27:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they’re demanding top five money, that might be why they haven’t been signed.

Other changes they are looking at...
by DBCooper  (2019-02-06 16:32:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Forcing pitchers to face at least three batters within an inning.

2. Limiting mound visits. MLB wants to go from six (installed last year) to four in 2019 and then three in 2020.

3. A pitch clock.

4. The DH being installed in the NL.

5. As a way to try to combat tanking, the union proposed that any team that lost 90 or more games in consecutive years would drop 15 places in the June draft and have its international pool money reduced by $2 million. If it occurred for three straight years, draft position would drop 20 places and $3 million would be taken away in international pool money. In addition, the union recommended restructuring revenue sharing to give more money to low-revenue teams that are succeeding in the wins-losses column.

6. As a way to try to combat service-time manipulation — keeping strong prospects down to impact when they could begin arbitration and free agency — the union proposed that a first-year player would be awarded a full year of service if he were top three in Rookie of the Year, MVP, Cy Young or the Mariano Rivera/Trevor Hoffman relief awards; the LCS or World Series MVP or led a league in Wins Above Replacement based on a blend of the formulas of Baseball Reference and FanGraphs.

7. As a way to improve the game experience for fans, the union offered to allow more players and dugouts to be miked, and to have two-way mikes between players so that in-game conversations could be heard by fans. In addition, the union agreed that half-inning breaks could be shortened, possibly by following the model used by the NFL to go to a split screen of returning action and an advertisement.

8. The union proposed having a single trade deadline as early as before the All-Star Game as a way to force teams to try to win early and not sell off late. The proposal also made recommendations on expanding the playoff field and realigning divisions. Between the MLB and union proposal, there also were recommendations for studying the lowering of the mound, expanding the rosters to 26 in exchange for a September lowering to 28 and allowing major league contracts to amateur two-sport athletes such as Kyler Murray.

Manfred is a disaster *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-02-07 14:48:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They might study what lowering the mound would do
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-02-07 12:07:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d be in favor of that.

How would #1 work?
by dfw  (2019-02-07 09:25:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could only come in at the start of an inning or none on and no outs and have to face 3 batters?

If there is anyone on base, it is possible to come in even with 0 outs and face fewer than 3 batters.

Or does it mean the pitcher would have to come in the next inning until they get to 3 batters?

It's 3 hitters in same inning or until inning ends.
by Hometown fan  (2019-02-07 11:19:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If one hitter finishes the 8th; new pitcher can begin the ninth

Could be the end of the Loogy *
by bizdomer09  (2019-02-07 13:51:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was in favor of this change, but I've changed my mind
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-02-07 11:52:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My issue is not too many pitchers being used - it is too much dead time around pitching changes.

I'd try first to fix it by saying relief pitchers inserted during an inning (for non-injury substitution) get X seconds to get to the mound and no warm up pitches.

If they bring back bullpen cars, that would be a bonus.

They go to commercials on a pitching change and don’t start
by 1978Irish  (2019-02-07 14:38:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Play until the commercials are over.

True, but I think that could be worked around
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-02-07 16:06:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right now, I think the clock is two minutes for a pitching change (2:30 for national TV games). That could be cut back to 1:00/1:30 to get in commercials.

I don't know how they are budgeted, but intra-inning commercials must be considered a bonus.

That makes sense.
by dfw  (2019-02-07 11:51:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My idea had been you have to start or finish the inning, which is similar but rules out the 3 batter option.

Would #7 significantly help the home or away team?
by DakotaDomer  (2019-02-06 17:31:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or there’s unlikely to be a difference in play by the hitters or fielders if they’re given 3 minutes to switch or 1 minute to switch?

I'd like no DH, only 8 in the lineup
by Tubes  (2019-02-06 15:52:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As long as pitchers don't hit.

Every easy out in the history of pitchers batting
by HTownND  (2019-02-06 16:23:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(and every subsequent out made by a pitcher batting going forward, for all time) Was worth it for this moment.

It's inevitable *
by elterrible  (2019-02-06 15:40:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a weird hill to die on *
by DakotaDomer  (2019-02-06 15:37:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. *
by Irish96  (2019-02-07 09:58:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I prefer the NL game
by HTownND  (2019-02-06 16:25:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the AL one.

If I wanted to be a fan of AL baseball, god knows I could have been a Yankees fan like other members of my family.

Yeah, I think it's that dumb that I'll cancel my MLB.TV package and stop watching and going to games if they do it.

Agreed
by bmoreirish  (2019-02-06 16:00:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is ridiculous that baseball plays a championship between leagues that operate under two very different sets of rules. I don't feel strongly either way, but it should be standardized one way or the other.

DH in NL would be the last straw for me as well
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-02-06 15:37:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Man on 2nd in extra innings is stupid, but I could still care about the game because it would happen infrequently.

All nine players playing the field and batting is fundamental to the game.

Why just one DH? Just have the nine best batters hit and not field and have the nine best fielders field and not hit. Any maybe we can have designated runners for all of the designated hitters, so the best runners run and slow guys don't have to leave the batters box.

Platoons - like football. Or girls six on six basketball.

Baseball will live without me, but if the NL has the DH I don't care if baseball lives or dies.

Starting with a runner @ 2nd base in extra innings
by Flann  (2019-02-06 15:30:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is my dealbreaker. What's wrong with calling it a tie after 10 or 11 in the regular season.

Then again, I think college football should still gave ties.

It rewards teams parading relief pitchers
by SixShutouts66  (2019-02-08 20:04:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The style of pitching used by many teams makes it hard for them to play beyond about 13 innings (5-6 innings by a starter at best, followed by a parade of 1 inning or less stints by relievers). On at least one occurrence last year (LA with Kiki Hernandez) a position player was brought in to pitch in extra innings. That's often a winning strategy, but a team has to live with its consequences. This change would let them off the hook for a problem they created.