Dang, Frank Robinson died
by sprack (2019-02-07 15:11:27)
Edited on 2019-02-07 15:16:12

What a tremendous ballplayer. Still the only man to be MVP in both leagues.

If you want to see possibly the best individual stat line in the 1960's, check out F Robby's from 1966. Except maybe his stat line from 1962 was just as good - when he finished fourth in the MVP voting, which was ridiculous.

played in HS with Bill Russell, Vada Pinson and Curt Flood
by olson  (2019-02-08 11:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Frank Robinson played HS basketball with Bill Russell at SF McClymonds..their chief rival was SF Commerce HS KC Jones....KC & Russell then played together in college a USan Francisco.

Robinson also played baseball at McClymonds with Vada Pinson and Curt Flood

The East Bay has produced so many great ballplayers
by sprack  (2019-02-08 12:32:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add Rickey Henderson and Joe Morgan.

Billy Martin *
by jt  (2019-02-08 17:05:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The DiMaggios *
by Olson  (2019-02-08 19:27:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nope, other side of the Bay
by sprack  (2019-02-09 10:35:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The DiMaggios were from San Fran.

actually, Joe D was born in Martinez-East Bay
by olson  (2019-02-09 12:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dad DiMaggio (Giuseppe) lived there alone for awhile-4 years (off Albambra Creek, where he tied up his fishing boat ) until he sent for his family in Italy. Joe D was born there- the family moved to North Beach SF- where Joe grew up(as you correctly point out).

Supposedly, Joe D's big sister got a splinter in her eye while playing on the train tracks in Martinez....the nearest doctor to treat her was across the Bay in SF & Mom DiMaggio had to make many a trip (25 miles) with her daughter for treatments...soon after, Mom got tired of the trip & the whole family moved across the bay.

Martinez still claims Joe D as one of their own(per the town website)..

I used to go to DiMaggio's restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf in the late '70s(on business trips to SF -expecting/hoping to see Joe D...the owners (who had bought the place, but kept the name) used to 'advertise' that Joe D came in from time to time....not sure he actually ever did, but it helped business.....

ok...WAY more than anyone wants to know...except for the linked menu from DiMaggio's restaurant = Filet Mignon for $ 3.25 & Fresh Sandabs(in season) for $1.20.....

Joe was there all the time
by jt  (2019-02-11 19:03:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I worked for a time at Alioto's on the wharf and we would see him pretty frequently, though the restaurant had been sold by that time (became a rib house, I believe).

My grandfather grew up and went to high school with Joe for a time (pretty sure Joe dropped out) and I believe dated one of his sisters. Also a very good basketball player from that area by the name of Frank Luisetti was at Galileo at the time.

And his old Seals manager Lefty O'Doul
by sprack  (2019-02-12 09:57:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've read was always at the restaurant on Geary near Union Square that still bears his name. Still a great place to get a carved roast beef sandwich and an Anchor Steam.

Lefty O'Douls closed in 2017
by jt  (2019-02-12 20:53:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that there was some talk of trying to re-open.

Well, I certainly stand corrected there
by sprack  (2019-02-10 18:45:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will freely admit I had no idea that Martinez was on that side of the Bay.

Interesting information as always from you!

Homered in his first at-bat as a black manager
by bluengold07  (2019-02-07 21:56:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Player/manager with the Indians.

As a black manager?
by Kayo  (2019-02-08 19:51:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What did he do in his first at-bat as a white manager?

Reminds me of Doug Williams taking questions on media day before the Super Bowl. He was the first black quarterback to start in the ultimate game.

Meaning to ask when Williams started playing the position, a reporter asked, "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

“You mean I’m gonna stay this color?” *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-02-08 19:56:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Frank Robinson trivia
by DBCooper  (2019-02-07 16:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of 2 players to have their jersey retired by 3 different teams (not including jackie robinson). Name the other player

Jeter *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-02-07 18:56:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harold Baines? *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-02-07 18:56:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a wager regarding Baines
by sprack  (2019-02-07 19:28:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My bet is he will have the shortest acceptance speech in the history of the Hall of Fame.

Here is his actual acceptance speech when the White Sox retired his number. I am not making this up:

"As you know, I`m a man of few words, but I am appreciative for all the great times in Chicago. Thank you very much."

Reggie Jackson (A's, Yankees, Angels) ?
by sprack  (2019-02-07 18:32:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In case Jvan's guess of Nolan Ryan is not correct (was my first guess also).

The Angels have shown admirable restraint
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-02-08 21:37:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They've retired only 6 numbers, and only 3 of those are for former Angels players -- Jim Fregosi (11), Rod Carew (29), and Nolan Ryan (30). The others are Jackie Robinson (42), longtime coach Jimmie Reese (50), and the late owner Gene Autry (26, for 26th man).

Would that other teams follow their lead
by sprack  (2019-02-11 17:08:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some teams have numbers retired where you ask "was that guy really that good"?

I'll start with the Yankees: Billy Martin's number is the same as the number of World Series he won. One fewer than Ralph Houk.

Nolan Ryan? *
by Jvan  (2019-02-07 17:19:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too easy *
by DBCooper  (2019-02-07 20:21:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His stats in '62 IIRC ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-02-07 15:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

were MVP quality - except there were also guys named Mays, Aaron and Cepeda - and no. 30 shattering the SB record.

Yeah, but they gave the MVP to Maury Wills
by sprack  (2019-02-07 18:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only because he broke the stolen base record.

Also, Robinson's stats were better than every guy you mentioned that year (Mays was close).

He most likely didn't win it because he had won it the year before, though his stats in '62 were even better. There really was no other reason. It wasn't that the Reds didn't win the pennant like they did the year before. The Dodgers didn't either, and had not one, but two players that finished ahead of Robinson in the voting (the other was Tommy Davis, who won the batting title; the order was Wills, Mays, Davis, Robinson). And the Reds won 98 games, finishing only 3 and a half back of the Giants (great pennant race that year).

TD had a tremendous season ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-02-08 13:13:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he couldn't field a lick but it seemed like anytime a runner was in scoring position Davis drove him in. I actually thought he should have beaten out Wills for the MVP.