pardon my ignorance concerning football strategy
by kdh325 (2022-01-24 23:03:24)

so could someone explain why the Bills kicked to the endzone with 14 seconds left. A kick to the 5 would've forced a return and might've eaten enough of the clock to prevent the last second FG. KC's longest kick return of the year was 39 yds. Even matching that would probably burn 6-8 seconds off the clock and leave 7-8 seconds left, max. The two returns in the game averaged 24 yds and 6 seconds Could KC run two plays and kick it in just 8 seconds? The two plays they ran burned 11 seconds.

Speaking of strategy in another game
by baronbutler  (2022-01-25 17:13:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Setting up a defensive play that resulted in one on one coverage with a safety against the best receiver in the league this year was not Arians' finest moment.

Seems dumb, obviously so in hindsight
by bizdomer09  (2022-01-24 23:57:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume they were most afraid of a Chief return (not sure who was back) on a short kick directly into field goal range. Sure… I would definitely be afraid of that too. But not nearly as afraid as I would be of Mahomes starting from the 25 with 2 plays, based on 2 timeouts in pocket.

Seems doubtful that P(long return) > P(2 consecutive passes for 15-20 yards by Mahomes).

So we agree. I don’t get it.

about as dumb as having the 2nd TE run a speed option play.
by OITLinebacker  (2022-01-25 11:13:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on 3rd and 1 in the redzone. A successful TD on that drive would have put that game away despite any of Allen's heroics. The only reason that play isn't talked about is that it happened with more time on the clock and KC won.

a small point
by DBCooper  (2022-01-25 12:21:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that backup TE was once a top 5 QB recruit who played 3 years at Oklahoma under Stoops and was considered a very good red zone running QB. He moved to TE as a senior.

I still would not take the ball out of Mahomes' hands, but if you were ever going to have a TE go under center in the red zone it would be Bell.