Due to the second clue
by sprack (2023-03-23 09:50:46)
Edited on 2023-03-23 09:55:09

In reply to: yet another worthless bit of baseball knowledge  posted by kdh325

I'm going to guess Bert Campaneris. That guy knew how to bunt.

And I'll further guess it was the Year of the Pitcher, 1968.

exactamundo *
by kdh325  (2023-03-23 11:47:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, really? Dang, I'm gonna play the lottery
by sprack  (2023-03-23 11:58:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was an educated guess, but definitely a guess. And I thought of the year before the player. I was going to guess Rod Carew, but he made the All-star team a lot more than 6 times (looked it up just now - he was an All-star EIGHTEEN years in a row).

Kewl!

If only he could hit. *
by Slotts  (2023-03-23 15:26:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is my guess too
by saintapollonia  (2023-03-23 10:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have an older cousin that was a rather rabid fan of the A's from that era. He was a huge Campy and Bando fan. He was beside himself when I went to 85 spring training and happened to get a Vida Blue autographed ball that I gave him. Anyways, my guess is with sprack for Bert Campaneris.

Campy endured some really bad A’s teams in KC
by sprack  (2023-03-23 18:31:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before they had the great teams in Oakland. That 1968 season was their first in Oakland and was the year the turnaround began as they finished just over .500.

It’s an amazing roster that year. The outfield of Reggie Jackson, Rick Monday and Joe Rudi were all 22 or younger. Dave Duncan the catcher was also 22. So was Catfish Hunter. Blue Moon Odom was 23. Sal Bando was only 24. Rollie Fingers pitched in one game as a September call-up at the age of 21. Campy was was an elder statesman on that team - at 26!

Their 1B coach was most noteworthy name on their roster...
by Scoop80  (2023-03-23 19:31:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I noted before, I got his (and Monday's) autographs on a scorecard before a Sunday DH on S Side in 5/68. They also had a Genius appear in 5 games for them. That's in addition to Jackson & Hunter. You'll be impressed that Sherm Lollar was also on their staff--I heard that he helped coach baserunning.

Seeing A's immediately become respectable and ultimately become dominant had to be excruciating for their handful of fans in KC (e.g. Bill James).

There are some good pictures of Joltin’ Joe
by sprack  (2023-03-24 14:03:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

talking to those young then-unknown players.

My understanding from my dad was that Sherm Lollar made Ed Herrmann look like Usain Bolt. (For those than aren’t familiar, Herrmann looked like he was running in wet cement - while wearing cement shoes; insert the old joke that you could time him with a sundial here)