That can’t be right
by Cartwright (2024-01-26 21:22:09)

In reply to: He’s the first player in any sport  posted by TouchdownJebus

Cal Ripken for one, unless we’re gonna be pedantic and not call the Orioles his hometown team because he grew up in Havre de Grace and Aberdeen and not within Baltimore city limits.

I’ve seen the additional caveat -“drafted #1” *
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-27 05:32:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ah, that could be it
by Cartwright  (2024-01-27 12:37:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can’t imagine there aren’t any players from the Canadiens, for example, who wouldn’t fit the bill without the additional “number one overall pick” requirement.

Cal was a second round pick *
by sprack  (2024-01-29 14:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The post doesn't say anything about the round
by Cartwright  (2024-01-29 15:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just "drafted by his hometown team". It was presumably supposed to say something about being the number one overall pick.

Yeah, I missed a key point
by TouchdownJebus  (2024-01-30 12:05:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joe Mauer of the Twins is the first player in MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL history to be drafted No. 1 overall by a team from his birth state/province, play 15+ seasons for that team and reach the Hall of Fame.

Maurice Richard would be one off the top of my head
by NDNORTH  (2024-01-29 09:38:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the NHL draft wasn't until '63.