PS
by HTownND (2024-04-25 12:51:30)
Edited on 2024-04-25 12:53:47

In reply to: "school board greed." The Bears initial proposal said  posted by rick

This is part of the problem

"District 15 said they might have to build a new elementary school for those residents."

That's the Kimball Hill districting right now, which has short term space for new students, based on any and all projections. You can talk to anyone and everyone associated with the school.

But let me ask you this? When do you think the first residential property will end up on that site? There are a few years between today and that happening. And that resident will pay property taxes. In fact they will probably pay higher taxes than today, because the value will continue to go up with the stadium in place. Why didn't District 15 earmark some of the tax money from Churchill Downs in 2022 for building that school? They knew the Bears were buying it and planning a stadium and mixed use development? Why aren't they setting aside the increase in tax funds from the 2023 triannual for it, everyone around that site is paying much more in taxes today than we were before?

I'm sure Nicholas construction would be happy to build them a school, and there will be plenty of money for it today, and in the future, with a valuation at $80M.

But even if they didn't, what's to prevent a referendum like District 25 did following the expansion to full day Kindergarten?

The idea that they needed to double the property tax valuation to pay for a potential new school a decade from now, when they have capacity in their current schools is a crock of shit, and everyone knows it. They were greedy and got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, and I hope everyone of those assholes hits the bricks soon enough.