Wells College (NY) has announced it will be closing (link)
by Raoul (2024-04-29 09:23:13)

Shrinking for years but a reasonably well-known school given its history. Older folks like me know it - I suspect it was not well known at all to those under 40. It had been shrinking for years.

Two other less well known Colleges but similarly small privates announced closure on Friday as well.

Alverno College (WI) warns it will be cutting faculty, staff
by Raoul  (2024-04-30 08:51:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and programs. Another shrinking private Catholic college on the brink whose enrollment has shrunk in the past decade.

Undergraduate Population: 300 *
by Keenan4w  (2024-04-29 14:51:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Established by Henry Wells of Wells Fargo
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-29 10:27:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During the pandemic, Wells had stated they would have to close without in-person learning (room & board).

Pleasant Rowland, founder of the American Girl doll, is a graduate and has put a lot of money into the little town where Wells College is.

The Board probably hit her up for money before this
by Raoul  (2024-04-29 11:24:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

decision. You can only shrink so much. Probably a big loss for the community. Looks like a stunning location on the east side of the lake. Great sunsets I'm sure. What do you do with it?

Lots of wineries up there *
by DBCooper  (2024-04-29 13:20:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And breweries. *
by PWK2  (2024-04-29 18:57:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Attended a wedding there several years ago *
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-29 12:27:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post