Farmers/Ranchers, Is the "egg-sucking dog" a rural truism or
by rgvirish (2024-04-29 11:08:12)

a rural "urban myth" so to speak.

Once a dog attacks chickens or eats the eggs is it going to always do that when the opportunity presents itself?

Decades ago, they ending up putting down a couple of stray dogs in my small town after they somehow got through the fences and killed several sheep that were being raised by the FFA students for show. They did it for the same basic reason. People thought that once the strays did that, they would continue to do it.

Yes, generally it’s true. Although I’ve never had an issue
by 3rdSt  (2024-04-29 11:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with one of our dogs killing other animals, I’d give it one chance to be corrected before writing the dog off entirely. And that almost certainly would mean putting the dog down. I’m not sure why you’d want to ‘re-home’ (or whatever they call these animal rehab centers) a known dangerous animal. I’ve seen people accept dogs as just ‘aggressive to other animals’ which then turn on children. That risk is too great.

What’s also bad is when people then abandon those dogs in a rural area, figuring that someone else will deal with the problem. Those dogs inevitably form a pack and start preying on livestock. We shoot them on sight.

How do you feel about moonlight melon mounters?
by TAR  (2024-04-29 12:48:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would you shoot a kid you caught in (literally) your watermelon patch?

I learn something new every day on this site. *
by rgvirish  (2024-04-29 15:01:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stray dog packs occasionally kill people in cities
by Raoul  (2024-04-29 11:44:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happened a year about in Detroit - pack of strays living in a warehouse on the SW side killed a man who I believe was trying to be nice and feed them.