I don’t know the person you reference.
by BeijingIrish (2024-04-29 20:06:37)

In reply to: Harvard calls them affinity celebrations.  posted by kormal

I’m sure she’s very nice, but I am also sure she would defend her sinecure. And let’s be frank—that’s what it is. If the Office of Institutional Equity disappeared tonight, not a soul would know the difference except those who could sleep in tomorrow morning.

I have only a few questions: (1) How much does all this cost?; (2) what is the program’s ROI, i.e., how does it advance the University’s academic mission?; and, (3)above all, why is any of the DEI stuff necessary at a university whose student life and academics are cloaked in Catholic [Christian] theology, concepts of social justice, and classical western philosophy, all of which promote human dignity, the sanctity of life, etc.?

If experience and common sense teach us that compelling people to dwell on that which divides them only serves to intensify divisions, why do we do it? We know with perfect certainty that organizations that treat all individuals with equal respect regardless of the groups to which they belong will have a greater likelihood of “filling their ranks with intelligent and imaginative people who bring to their tasks a diversity of habits of heart and mind, perspectives, and expertise” (Peter Berkowitz).

Replies: