How "common feeling" are manual transmissions?
by OrangeJubilee (2024-04-30 11:26:46)

Post below brought up a question I have had for awhile. At one point I could normally drive a friends stick shift Ford Ranger, I think it was a 1990 and this was circa 2000. I could drive it normal and did many times, not like I just jerked it around a parking lot. I have not driven any manual transmission vehicle in the 24ish years since then, and actually that was the only manual transmission I've ever driven. I still remember how in my mind.

Could I drive a manual today? I mean I know I could get it moving, but like reasonably smoothly? I am assuming no way if it was a sports car, but what about an F150, a rental box truck, or even a base BMV 325?

I am just genuinely curious how much clutches and shifters vary. I would not want to wreck someones transmission being overconfident.

PS my wife's Honda Odyssey has paddle shifters, so it isn't like I don't know high performance driving.

it comes back quick. I have 4 MT cars.
by NDWahoo  (2024-05-01 19:58:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though there are differences, they are not differrent enough to take more than 30 seconds to adjust to when changing cars.

If you want some fun, try driving a manual in Europe
by cmhirish  (2024-04-30 21:31:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the driver's seat on the right, and shifting left-handed. The shifter was in the same arrangement as the U.S., with first in the upper left.

I spent the first couple hours unintentionally dropping the shifter from first into fourth. Once I got used to shifting left-handed, it was easy-peasy. Never had a problem getting left, though.

You mean the UK and Ireland.
by starburns  (2024-05-01 10:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everywhere else in Europe is left-hand drive.

Hey now, take that Brexit nonsense to the PBR. *
by cmhirish  (2024-05-01 19:20:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sports cars may have tighter clutch, but also more power
by flapjack  (2024-04-30 16:33:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The mid 80's Chevy Cavalier I learned to drive in was so underpowered that it easily died or lurched horribly if the gas and clutch weren't done well.

I taught my kids in a BMW335, and as long as you give it a little gas, you can dump the clutch and it wont stall.

I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission.
by dbldomer7375  (2024-04-30 16:25:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife learned to drive an F-150 with a "3 on the tree" manual transmission. We taught both our girls to shift with a manual transmission.

There is a big difference among clutches, not only among different makes and models, but how each driver has the play in the clutch adjusted.

I haven’t driven a manual since drivers ed in 1978.
by ND8486  (2024-04-30 15:15:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely no doubt that I could manage one as well now as then, in others words not well.

I've gone back and forth over the years.
by starburns  (2024-04-30 14:28:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I learned on a manual and then switched back and forth for a long time. I drove a manual from 2014-2019, then automatics from 2019-2021, and now back to a manual. You will remember easily and mechanics don't vary much.

The only thing I've found to vary across makes (sometimes wildly) is reverse. Sometimes it's hard left or right and down, sometimes hard left or right and up, sometimes (inexplicably and usually Volvos) you're supposed to pull up on a collar on the stick.

I found that it depends on the age of the car and number of
by NH74Domer  (2024-04-30 13:10:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

forward gears. We’ve had two older manual cars among the ones we’ve owned going back 30 years. The ‘74 we owned had a mechanical clutch, that made shifting a bit strenuous. One of our current cars is a ‘90 with a hydraulic clutch which makes the clutch play a lot easier. The bigger issue I had was going from a five speed to a six speed.

jerking it around in the parking lot can be dangerous
by jt  (2024-04-30 12:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you're going to try it, perhaps after dark would be best.

Lubricating your axle is a good idea as well *
by pmoose  (2024-04-30 13:11:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My 86 Volvo had a ring around the shaft to pull on before
by irishnyer  (2024-04-30 13:17:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could put in reverse.

Make sure you don't damage the trunk
by 88_92WSND  (2024-04-30 22:38:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when you get it in reverse.

That Ranger was fairly normal .. a little longer throw
by southshoredawg  (2024-04-30 12:07:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than a sedan. 1992 Explorer was similar. didnt drive a stick after that for 20 years then borrowed a BMW 325 for a few hours. No problem.

I drove a manual transmission car for one year...
by John@Indy  (2024-04-30 12:06:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...just over 30 years ago. It's come back to me pretty easily on the rare occasions I have driven one since (borrowing a friend's beater truck, renting a car in Europe, etc.).

I went ten years before returning to a manual
by goldenarms  (2024-04-30 11:45:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was pretty much like riding a bike or skating (also had no occasion to do for a few years). Felt weird for a couple minutes, then the muscle memory took over. I test drove at least five different models and had no difficulty with any of them.

Regardless of the vehicle, I bet a short drive on a back road would be sufficient to warm you up.

it's something you don't forget *
by discNDav  (2024-04-30 11:41:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're pretty similar. If anything, trucks are harder.
by Dutch  (2024-04-30 11:37:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot of modern manual transmission cars (very hard to find these days, I don't think the BMW 325 is avaialable with one) now have rev matching to make the shifts between gears smoother without any effort from the driver. You might stall once or twice remembering how to get the car moving, but I doubt you would have any problem.

The old manual trucks I drove 30 years ago had much sloppier gear boxes than cars and you had to get the hang of where the next gear was. I have not driven a manual truck since then, but imagine that the gear boxes are smoother now as well.

These days I only drive stick in rental cars in Europe (not very frequently). It's like riding a bike.

You'd pick it right up. I drive a manual now.
by LondonDomer  (2024-04-30 11:37:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And have on and off since I was 16. But my prior car was an automatic so I took 5 years off and it came back instantly.

I'd guess you'd have it down in short order
by tqm96  (2024-04-30 11:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

might be a little choppy at first.

In my experience it is like bike riding.
by Profkid93  (2024-04-30 11:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It takes a couple of minutes to recover the muscle memory and then it's fine.

I saw an amusing bumper sticker on a Jeep the other day, which was a picture of the shift pattern with "Millennial Anti Theft Device" written underneath.

Stick shift + cursive = render them helpless *
by NWEndzone  (2024-04-30 20:11:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was funny *
by trout  (2024-04-30 13:29:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post