Happy 61st birthday to Mark Bavaro. (link)
by irishhawk49 (2024-04-28 17:27:43)

That broken jaw story tells it all
by Son of Galway  (2024-04-29 21:06:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That might be the toughest thing I've ever heard.

When I was on campus, he was probably the most intimidating guy there. Mark Zavagnin was pretty intimidating too.

I think that is Stacy Toran trying to drag him down in a few of those clips.
Tragic end for him.

Yeah. I had never heard the broken jaw story. Holy crap.
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-29 21:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is Stacy Toran dragging him down in one of those clips. RIP Stacy

I still remember a Mike Collins call
by eddysorin  (2024-04-29 08:28:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't remember the game. I was in high school, watching at home. It was a random run play, and Bavaro was maybe a Freshman or Sophomore.

When the play was over Mike Collins said, "Mark Bavaro just OBLITERATED a man downfield".

Bavaro wasn't even in the picture, he was down the field blocking well ahead of the play, and just buried some defender into the turf.

Such was the passion of that guy.

Parcells quote
by irishrock  (2024-04-28 18:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I'm not sure if he's an All-Pro, but I am sure he's All-Jungle"

imagine a coach like Parcells saying that about you

It’s a shame Bavaro was wasted in the Faust years. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-28 19:05:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed. Lost in our nostalgia...
by eddysorin  (2024-04-29 08:43:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...about Gerry Faust was some of the damage he did to the players he coached.

He was the coach at ND for all of my four years there (1982-85 seasons).

It’s hard to find anyone who would argue that Gerry Faust ISN’T a very good man.

But when you think of the Mark Bavaros of the world – and there were DOZENS of players on those 4 teams with immense talent – it’s hard not to feel a little anger that he was so over-matched and over his head, that those guys (many of them my classmates) could have and should have had a much better college athletic experience than they did.

It’s one thing for a fan like me to bemoan the lost opportunities for the Class of 1986.

It’s quite another to show up to practice every day as a player, go through the pain and sacrifice and mental and physical exhaustion that those guys endured, all the while knowing your leader was basically a bumbling idiot who was sub-optimizing your team’s chances to win.

What an awful feeling that must have been.

Gerry Faust
by mkovac  (2024-04-29 12:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nostalgia?
by Wass  (2024-04-29 11:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no nostalgic memories of Jerry Faust
He had no business being a D1 coach. The Madonna blue jerseys were awful. His team warm ups were HS. Sure, he was a decent guy, but that doesn't win you football games.

There has been a lot of white-washing of Faust
by eddysorin  (2024-04-29 12:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Among the ND faithful.

I admit, I bought his book and probably contributed to the pity party.

The blame was always leveled at the enablers who made that unconscionable hire.

Gene Corrigan offered Gerry the way out. Faust stubbornly refused to resign before the 1985 season, and made ND adhere to the letter of his contract.

That dreadful 5-6 season of my Senior year, punctuated by the 58-7 blowout at Miami in his last game, was his lasting legacy.

Corrigan hired Holtz the next year, and wrongs were righted.

But Faust's arrogance and stubbornness cost us a year in that rebuilding, and perhaps a national title in the late 80s or early 90s.

A former reporter told that while at Moeller, he
by tenndomer  (2024-05-01 12:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

called a rival coach to set up a scrimmage. No big deal. The team showed up to a stadium full of fans and proceeded to get obliterated. Another time Faust called a college coach and told him he had a kid he thought could play for the college. The man drove to the watch the kid play and Faust never put him into the game. Angry, the coach said, "I thought you said he could play." Faust said, "I said he could play for you. He can't play for me."

There's no way to forget that game. We all knew Faust
by SWPaDem  (2024-05-01 07:12:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had to go. The team quit on him big time during the game. But we knew Lou was just around the corner - and there was hope.

And then came Catholic vs. Convicts.

I would have been all for winning it one year earlier.
by Moff  (2024-04-29 16:21:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it all worked out though, as Lou got his bowl bid at Minnesota in 1985, making him free to go to ND.

“The Notre Dame clause said that I was free to go to Notre Dame if they contacted me and we already accepted a bowl bid at Minnesota,” Holtz said. “The logic being that if we accepted a bowl bid, that meant we brought Minnesota to a decent program.”

Good point *
by eddysorin  (2024-04-29 17:58:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was terrible
by Wass  (2024-04-29 13:12:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would anyone give him a break on how bad he was. He cheated like hell when he was a high school coach, takibg players from different states (OK, you can argue that he was at a Catholic school and they could "recruit", but recruiting was illegal in that state, at least back then). So of course he was better than everyone else! He did bring in some good players but sure couldn't coach at a national level when the playing field was level. And to think ND ran Devine out of town, who actually was a good coach, for this guy. For shame...

His second game of his ND tenure showed he was out of
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-29 18:53:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his depth. Bo made him look like the imposter he was. I felt bad for Greg Bell as he got sent into a swarm of maize & blue only to get demolished time and again. Faust had no answers. It continued that way for five long years.
As you say, his Moeller teams were incredibly stacked. It didn’t take much coaching acumen to get wins out of that juggernaut. Obviously, he was a very poor choice.

Well said. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-29 11:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think “Good man, wrong job applies here”.
by MobileIrish  (2024-04-29 11:30:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reportedly said by Admiral Hyman Rickover about President Jimmy Carter.

Indeed! *
by Dennis  (2024-04-29 00:34:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post