How ND beat Caleb Williams
by SEE (2024-04-29 13:21:28)

The team that really gave Williams the most trouble was the Fighting Irish in 2023. They limited Williams to 199 yards and one touchdown, while intercepting him three times. That marked just the second time in Williams’ college career that he threw multiple interceptions in a game. The key for the Irish was learning from their past mistakes.

“The thing that was so dangerous about him was his ability to extend plays,” said linebacker JD Bertrand, who was selected by the Falcons in the fifth round of this year’s draft. “Two years ago we could see that. He would turn a four-second play into an eight-second play. We were hurting our secondary trying to make them cover for so long.”

Like most other teams, the Irish plan started by containing Williams with a “true cage rush,” but went beyond that. They didn’t want Williams to beat them with his arm or his legs, so they practically invited the Trojans to run the ball by putting fewer players in the box and packing their pass coverage. Then, they made sure to stay disciplined in their lanes to avoid getting gashed by the USC running backs.

When Williams escaped their contain– because Williams escaping contain at some points was inevitable– they tried to flush him away from his throwing hand. They made sure to keep a spy player on him to limit the damage, too. Finally, the Fighting Irish tried to keep Williams guessing as much as possible with pre-snap disguises.

“We know that a lot of the sideline checks would come in and he would scan the sideline, then communicate. So for us we tried to hold the disguise as long as possible.”

I hope NFL DCs do the same. *
by idahod0mer  (2024-04-30 23:07:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pressure the QB! *
by discNDav  (2024-04-29 18:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In other words
by DrunkenIrishPoet  (2024-04-29 14:03:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Al Golden knows what the hell he's doing. I realize USC had issues last year, but they really did a number on CW in that game. I didn't expect it.

I honestly think Golden's my favorite D coordinator since Alvarez in 1988-1989. Like all great coordinator's, I am sure he will eventually get a big offer to go elsewhere.

Still can't believe ND's D under John Ray only gave up 38 points the entire year in 1966. The little I have seen of that D, they looked incredible.

Utah wrote the book on beating him in 2022.
by mkovac  (2024-04-29 13:59:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They bull rushed him and disrupted his timing.

The first time Utah beat him in Utah, Caleb Williams injured his hamstring, if I'm not mistaken. For the rest of that game, his athleticism kept him somewhat able to play, but he was hurting quite a bit and should have been allowed to watch from the sidelines.

He's very talented, but he pushes his talent too hard and too long and that results either in fabulous completed passes downfield or in ugly interceptions. I'm not sure how well his pro career will turn out.

He will be like the little girl with the curl: when he is good, he is very, very good; when he his bad, he is horrid.