rumor is that there is going to be a settlement
by jt (2024-04-29 21:38:58)

in the lawsuit against the NCAA and the resulting settlement will allow for revenue sharing with the players.

Was the employee issue ever fully discussed in an opinion?
by MCB  (2024-04-30 11:03:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have paid tangential attention to these developments but glanced through portions of the Supreme Court opinion when it was issued and the assumption in the opinion was that players are employees (which is a key assumption).

Was that issue actually decided by a lower court and not appealed, or by the Supreme Court and I missed it? I'm more interested in a court's analysis than an NLRB decision.

If that assumption was never fully challenged, why wasn't it? When does a college athlete become an employee versus engaged in an extracurricular activity? Only for lucrative sports or is a freshman fencer an employee of the school? How about a tuba player? What are the limiting principles in this unusual context?

SC Justice Kavanaugh
by MrE  (2024-04-30 11:18:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Attached article has a lot of good information. A quick re-scan...I don't think he actually uses the term "employee" but he talks about labor, provides examples of other industries (restaurants, hospitals, law firms), and uses terms like "business model" and "massive money-raising enterprise."

So that may answer part of your question as to limiting principles, etc.

That's the part I remember reading
by MCB  (2024-04-30 11:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I never saw a full discussion of the issue and thought it odd that he seemed to be simply assuming the employee status.

I believe that is another case coming up
by jt  (2024-04-30 11:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and that they are hoping to bypass that question with this particular settlement. I'm not sure how much luck they'll have, but we'll see. Kessler is a really good attorney.

(Also) - UAB's entire roster joined a players' association.
by MrE  (2024-04-30 10:58:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will be interesting to see how fast this scales and if the big boys' entire football rosters do the same.

Up to this point, The Athletes Organization was a collection of individual student-athletes.

So the "labor" side of the equation appears to be making plans as well.

hence the race to expand the CFP ASAP and to cull the
by MrE  (2024-04-30 08:43:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

field of participating schools/franchises down to only those that have commercial value.

Do you belive ND should drop football in that case? *
by ND_Navy  (2024-04-29 23:20:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should continue to monitor the landscape. *
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-30 05:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the sports world's top landscape monitor...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-30 11:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just rode off into the landscape.

Where shall we go? What shall we do?

a monitor lizard doing what he does best
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-30 12:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He slithered off into the landscape.

Don't fret - we just need his glasses *
by graNDfan  (2024-04-30 16:47:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

100 million dollar center for the arts? *
by jt  (2024-04-30 01:12:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Damn, I read, "Center for Ants" *
by Irishbuzz  (2024-04-30 11:22:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the center has to be at least.....3 times bigger than this!
by jt  (2024-04-30 12:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The arts are important (plus can be used for fencing, etc) *
by jbrown_9999  (2024-04-30 09:14:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

while I don't disagree
by jt  (2024-04-30 11:10:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think that they rounded up that money from those donors for the purpose of building a 100 million dollar fencing center.

I'm not an alum, so I don't have standing to really comment here, but if one were to ask me to guess, I would say that ND is all-in for football, be it in a superconference, status quo, or some other similar setup.

My answer was tongue in cheek
by jbrown_9999  (2024-04-30 19:22:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND is probably looking at least $125M to $150M a year in football-related revenue. I find it doubtful that they give that up especially if it only costs ~$20M a year to compensate players.

They can probably even find a few dollars to fund women's sports.

ND football revenue will be over $200M in 2-3 yrs, IMO
by MrE  (2024-04-30 20:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you look at the anticipated CFP revenue of $2B by 2027 (and the likelihood of fewer teams sharing that nut) combined with what we already know about ND football-related revenues....

ND sports-related revenues (in millions):
FY ending 6/30/23
FOOTBALL: $141
MBB: $10
ALL OTHER MEN: $9
ALL WOMEN: $6
“NOT ALLOCATED BY GENDER”: $58

FY ending 6/30/22:
FOOTBALL: $137
MBB: $10
ALL OTHER MEN: $6
ALL WOMEN: $4
“NOT ALLOCATED BY GENDER”: $59

Projected football revenue for 2027…$220M?

$141M +
increase in Under Armour revenue +
increase in NBC revenue +
ND's cut of $2B CFP revenue (1/40 share would mean $50M)

We wear our $ signs on our sleeve. *
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-30 07:42:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

New Gug(and Crossroads?) already answered the question *
by bsuryn  (2024-04-29 23:41:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

+ $2M/year Rees/Golden/Denbrock, Hartman/Leonard et al. *
by MrE  (2024-04-30 09:38:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post