Zagreb, Summer of 1988
by eddysorin (2024-04-30 09:32:54)

I’m getting old, so I guess the few interesting stories I have I should get out there. As they say, "We know not the time..."

I was reminded of this one when a fellow ND 1986 grad posted on social media yesterday from his trip to Zagreb, Croatia.

I was in Zagreb once – in the airport – and had a memorable experience. It relates to ND football.

I had been travelling with friends to Dubrovnik before I started business school. It was the summer of 1988. Back then it was “Yugoslavia”, before the Serbia/Croatia split.

Making my way back from Dubrovnik meant flying to Zagreb to connect a flight to Frankfurt.

I had never heard of Zagreb, knew nothing about it. I just knew it was in the interior of the country.

It was hellishly early in the morning when I sat down at the gate. There was only one other person there.

Older guy. I was 24. He was dressed like a shepherd or a religious leader – all white. Pillbox hat.

Keep in mind this is pre-internet. The world wasn’t as small as it is today.

I was in shorts and a grey Champion Notre Dame sweatshirt. I'm sure I had a Sony Walkman with a cassette tape playing in my ear.

Such was my youthful ignorance that, as I’m sitting there looking at this guy, I’m thinking, “Ha! This guy probably has goats in the cargo hold. I wonder what he’ll think looking at ME. He’s probably never even seen an American before”.

Sure enough, the guy starts staring right at me.

Next thing I know, he’s getting out of his seat and walking over to me. He stops in front of me and points to the “Notre Dame” logo on my sweatshirt.

And then says, in perfect American English: “Do you go to Notre Dame?”

I have to say, I was floored. I’m sure my mouth was agape. I was sure this guy couldn’t speak the language, much less comprehend what Notre Dame was.

But what he said next dropped my jaw to the floor, and I’ll never forget it.

After I responded “Yes”, he said:

“I have nephew who plays football at Notre Dame. You’ve never heard of him because he didn’t play much last year. But his name is Chris Zorich”.

Amazing. Met him at The Backer.
by DawsonMayes871  (2024-05-01 12:42:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did a round of shots together. He was awesome.

Wow ! Small world *
by LAW83  (2024-05-01 05:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Awesome, Love it. Thank you *
by ND Harvey  (2024-04-30 20:34:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amazing Story!
by trout  (2024-04-30 16:09:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes the world is a small place.

Had you not been wearing your ND gear, the story would not be told.

Fantastic!
by cubfan  (2024-04-30 15:43:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did he explain his garb?

If he did, I don't remember. Oh for a cameraphone back then! *
by eddysorin  (2024-04-30 16:44:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great story. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-30 14:25:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Follow up- does CZ know this story?
by drmurray  (2024-04-30 14:21:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I imagine he would be amused

I have never met Chris. I would love to share if I did.
by eddysorin  (2024-04-30 16:43:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My younger brother knew him in college.

My brother (Class of 1991) has a very funny story about CZ that involves Kent Graham. All three lived in Sorin.

While my story is more improbable, his is a lot funnier.

Perhaps I can get him to share it.

Was introduced to Chris. Have an autographed picture of him
by MBOIrish  (2024-04-30 23:46:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

battling Tennessee guard Tom Myslinski (sp?) who lived five doors away from us in Rome, NY and was good friends with my oldest son who also attended Tennessee. Chris and Tom each lead their team with identical presses of 555 pounds. Went to ND at T game where they battled. Chris was of course All American while Tom was all SEC. Tom gave the NFL the phone number of my son’s apartment site of Tom’s draft party. Some of you may remember that draft when Jimmy Johnson as Dallas coach was trading draft positions to get players he knew would be great pros from his college coaching days. Along about the fourth round, the phone rang in my son’s apartment. My son answered and turned to Tom and said, “Hey Tom, it’s Jimmy Johnson!”

I just texted it to him *
by Azars31  (2024-04-30 21:21:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s on LinkedIn and he is very engaged there FWIW *
by drmurray  (2024-04-30 17:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Check out CZ's latest Distillery Launch! Take the opportunit
by drmurray  (2024-05-01 11:45:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to reach out and tell that Zagreb story

Here is a direct link. That's one heck of a group of guys. (link)
by Moff  (2024-05-01 16:32:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chris Zorich’s uncle was actor Louis Zorich, who was
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-30 14:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

married to actress Olympia Dukakis. Zorich family is of Croatian descent.

we "ich"s have to stick together *
by mkovac  (2024-04-30 18:08:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amen! *
by Stonebreaker9  (2024-04-30 21:19:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The man I met was Zora's brother
by eddysorin  (2024-04-30 16:41:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't remember much about him, as I write this. The fog of 36 years prevents me from even remembering his first name.

Did she have more than one brother? I'll have to go online and try to figure that out.

We sat next to each other on the flight and traded stories. He was an engaging and wonderful guy.

Thanks for posting that - brought a big smile to my face *
by EmilT76  (2024-04-30 14:20:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love this story. Finding connections with people who you
by RagingBull  (2024-04-30 12:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

initially perceive are culturally and/or ideologically different is one of the great human experiences.

And when it comes to ND football players who best represented Notre Dame's tough unrelenting roots Chris Zorich is up there.

Never a dull moment in Zagreb *
by RJD  (2024-04-30 12:46:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a surprise!!!
by jamnd74  (2024-04-30 12:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HOF post indeed.

This is a HOF worthy post!!!!
by drmurray  (2024-04-30 10:32:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take the rest of the day off.

Well done!!!!!!!!

Awesome. *
by KeoughCharles05  (2024-04-30 10:14:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's spectacular.
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-30 09:51:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is the best kind of post.