Been losing track at this point - what do we think would be
by irish_dan (2024-04-27 17:19:54)

an ideal finish to portal season given how it’s already played out?

I think we can all agree we have a pressing need for post depth and athletic rebounding/shot blocking. A few weeks ago, my hope had been to get a center, a forward, and one other player. Now, I’m just hoping for a center and a forward.

Weimar is off the board. Nye withdrew. Karlen has been quiet and posting pics from Marquette practices. Iriafen is almost surely going to USC. King has been quiet since her visit. There are a few others who I thought would’ve been perfect (Alyssa Latham, Malea Williams), but there was never any interest shown on either side.

Given all of this, my mind goes to Dauda and Gardiner. I will not be surprised if Dauda goes to LSU, but I think she’s the exact type of shot blocker we need. Gardiner would be an ideal get as well if she’s willing to get good minutes off the bench. She has such a similar style to Maddy that she would be a perfect bridge between Maddy leaving and (hopefully) several forward recruits for 2025 coming in.

Any other thoughts? How can ND still get big wins from the portal? Perhaps King is still in play, but I personally think we should go for more height.

——————————————————

Additionally, as it’s been talked about both on the boards and off, I wonder what Niele’s approach is to these transfers, and what’s keeping them away from ND. You have to think that an ND degree/grad degree PLUS playing with one of the best backcourts in the country is appealing, no?

I obviously don’t have anything beyond speculation, but my assumption is that Coach Ivey already knows who the starters are next year (Miles, Hidalgo, Citron, Westbeld, Koval). This is a problem when any big name worth getting would want to be a starter. The other two factors are likely coaching makeup—only having one post coach on staff compared to three guard coaches (including Coach Ivey)—and lack of proven depth under Ivey as HC (not always her fault—injuries suck—but she’s never shown she’s willing to play a deep lineup down low). I know Becky was likely never up to the level Niele would’ve wanted her to be last season, but I believe that refusing to play her, even when all we needed was a body down low, hurt the perception players have of how Niele uses her bench.

From all of that, we now arrive at:
• The top players don’t want to come to ND because they want to start… which won’t happen here
• The players we need for depth don’t want to come to ND because there’s no guarantee they’ll play
• The post players who want to develop don’t want to come to ND because the coaching staff is so geared toward guards

Please poke holes in this, but from an outside perspective, this seems to make the most sense.

Maya Dodson, Lauren Ebo and Kylee Watson are all post...
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-28 07:13:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players that have transferred to Notre Dame under the Ivey regime and, I would argue, have excelled in this environment. I don't think that the guard-heavy coaching staff or offensive strategy has hindered their development but I can't say that I know for sure how a prospective post player in the transfer portal right now views the ND opportunity.

Other board members have speculated on some of the challenges of recruiting to ND for both high school and transfer players. For the general student population Notre Dame has(d) a policy of not admitting transfers in their junior year but that has been relaxed, I think, for scholarship athletes. Jess Shepard, Dara Mabrey, and Kylee Watson are recent examples of players transferring in after completing two years at another school.

I also wonder what the official policy is about accepting grad transfers into a degree program or whether athletes are offered a non-degree graduate studies program that allows them to take enough classes to remain eligible to play. Ebo and Dodson both received MS in Management from Mendoza so the precedent is surely there for an academically minded player to achieve both on court and in classroom success.

Not to be too cynical but I wonder whether the Irish are competing on equal footing in the NIL part of the equation. In an era in which some high school recruits reportedly require NIL compensation just to make an official visit to a school, I suspect that the transfer portal is not immune from this. Also, head coaches are salesmen as much as they are athletic teachers and, as any fan of Glengarry Glen Ross knows the first rule of sales is ABC: Always Be Closing. If you get a highly desirable recruit onto campus you don't let them leave without trying to close them. After rolling out the red carpet for the prospective transfer player the final pitch of "You've met the players and coaches and feel at home here, we really think that you are just what our team needs to succeed next year and just to show you how highly we think of you we can offer you an additional NIL bonus of $___K if you announce before you leave here".

I've never heard anyone suggest that this occurs, I just think that within the current environment it is likely to occur. Does this sound like something that Notre Dame is likely to do? I don't honestly know but the lack of success lately in attracting some of the elite transfer prospects makes me wonder.

Just as an aside, Maya Dodson is currently playing in Spain and Lauren Ebo is playing in Turkey and will be a member of the Nigerian Olympic team playing in Paris, their first game will be July 29th against Australia.

Per Boneyard, USC May Have Made Iriafen an Offer ...
by dillon77  (2024-04-28 14:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she couldn't refuse. According to TheFarmFan, a Stanford alum who posts on Stanford boards and the Boneyard, Iriafen "... was reportedly receiving $700k collective offers mid-season, and her stock only rose during the tournament after the 41-point ISU game. I'd be shocked if U$C didn't offer her at least that."

That's serious "pay to play" incentive, if true. Geesh.

NIL $ at the top of every list, degree near/at the bottom
by ram  (2024-04-28 15:18:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other factors in the middle: climate, teammates, minutes, social life

Recruits require NIL to visit?
by PWK2  (2024-04-28 14:09:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you know of specific (I don't want names) examples of this? Color me skeptical. That means that Mary Johnson requires $1000 to visit Iowa and is free to go anywhere else she wants. Does that really happen?

True or not, you decide. (link)
by Cavanaugh82  (2024-04-28 15:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is That One-Year MS Program in Mgmt. Still Offered?
by dillon77  (2024-04-28 08:31:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd read somewhere that it was being discontinued, much to the chagrin of coaching staffs. Or was that being floated?

As for the NIL thoughts, that's a viable thought. I've got to think that there were NIL opportunities at both USC and UCLA: those schools suddenly didn't start drawing players merely on their coaches' tactical abilities.

The ABC of selling (Always be closing) is also interesting. Has NIL helped take the teeth out of the ability to do that, combined with Ram's points that grad students and needed positional players are like primo grads with multiple offers from corporations: they can afford to be choosy.

Lastly, in the case of Iriafen: she gets to play at home.

It’s still up on the Mendoza website (link)
by docsfan  (2024-04-28 11:16:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thx. Program Has Been Cited as Useful...
by dillon77  (2024-04-28 12:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..for this kind of transfer.
(Sorry...I usually check for these things, but had to rush to play hoops myself.)

I enjoyed this post. and agree. You mention Maya Dodson,
by MountainMan  (2024-04-28 08:10:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think her progression during the one season she was here, was extraordinary. The fact she was not given an additional year was unfortunate. She is an exceptional athlete. Lauren over achieved. I'm glad to hear she is still playing.

I was a big fan of Dodson and also was sad to see her
by bohratom  (2024-04-28 17:09:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

waiver for another season was denied by the NCAA. The Lynx gave her a WNBA Training Camp contract in 2023 but she did not make the team. I do not see her listed on any WNBA training camp this season which does not bode well for her playing in the WNBA one day as normally you want a training camp contract every season to finally play for a team full-time.

Both were great players and excellent personalities *
by drmurray  (2024-04-28 10:50:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They Were. Now The Trick is Finding This Year's Model(s) *
by dillon77  (2024-04-28 12:38:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Posted Some Thoughts This Morning....
by dillon77  (2024-04-27 19:11:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll post a link to it if you're interested...have to cook dinner now!

Thank you! Missed that post from earlier
by irish_dan  (2024-04-27 21:18:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll be very interested to see if Niele goes with just grad transfers or underclassmen. Feels like the 2025 class gets more important by the day.

I think it’s probably best to wait and see before reaching
by Tim Kelley  (2024-04-27 17:54:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any conclusions, but there does seem to be some issues, issues that do not seem to apply to the various guard/combo positions. A couple of comments. Yes ND isn’t for everyone, but that has not impeded ND accumulating and keeping top talent in the past and recently. Secondly, I don’t buy the “lack of guaranteed playing time” as a reason in every case for why ND appears to be having a hard time landing a Big out of the portal. It’s not like the post position is well defined with solid depth. What happened to the top talents who come to compete or can see the opportunity that curently exists at that position ?

Very well put. Last year Anna was a solid transfer. Becky
by MountainMan  (2024-04-27 17:34:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think was a late edition and never got off the bench. It seems to me that Niele may be down to a couple of desperation moves, just to add two bodies, but I certainly hope that is not the case.

We'll know in the not too distant future.

6’4”+ with skills and experience want to start
by Whaler170  (2024-04-27 18:37:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A seller’s market even moving up from mid tier.