Lot To Unpack: People Do Leave; Injuries Perversely Help
by dillon77 (2024-04-28 14:30:57)

In reply to: I wonder how Geno manages to keep his players  posted by NPaulTodd

- Why do players keep coming? The UConn brand is still strong, even though they haven't won a title since Stewie graduated. However, they keep making Final Fours (barely in this case, but they make them).

- Why else? The startingly long pro careers of Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi (effective or not) keeps them in the news, as does the absurdity of having DT on the Olympic team (due to Jen Rizzotti having a key role in Olympic team management).

- And you keep having writers like Michael Voepel writing that UConn prepares people better than any other college, even though only 'Phee Collier has been the only decent Husky in the league since Stewie.
ND brings up that the Irish are Guard U, but it's got to be even stronger.

- So you get lots of players like Amari Deberry who hang around. Maybe she felt "I'll finally break through" in an old-school way. Well, after this year, she saw the light and left.

However, Azzi Fudd, Aubrey Griffin and Ayanna Paterson (to start with the "A" of it) are all injured and stick around because they all think they're superstars and, well, they're getting better. Will Paterson ever see the court again in Storrs given the frosh coming in? If I'm her, she's got to know Aubrey Griffin will get first dibs -- why waste the time?

UConn isn't a guarantee to pro success? Remember "Megotron Walker?" Out of the league.

- But people do leave. Saylor Poffenbarger's mom pulled her out before Xmas..she saw the writing on the wall. Mir McClean left. And now, McLean finally left.

- Why does Chen come? Who knows...I've gotta think the Berube-Auriemma connection did that.

- As for Niele, she's developed four superb players in Westbeld, Miles, Citron and Hidlago. Let's not take that away. Now, she's gotta get that group to the next level...a Final Four.