Cantilever Patio Umbrellas recos
by irishnyer (2024-04-16 16:14:26)

Help BR!

I know nothing. Wheels to move it around would be nice. No need for lights. Was looking at Costco, Wayfair, Home Depot, Lowes.

Thank you in advance.

Update: Bought a Sunvilla w/lights from Costco. Thanks BR! * *
by irishnyer  (2024-04-18 10:06:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's this classic
by Enginerd194  (2024-04-17 17:58:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So that would cost, like $16,000 these days? *
by Ndalum1  (2024-04-18 04:36:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My only advice is to close them when not in use.....
by Marine Domer  (2024-04-17 17:12:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've had a couple get destroyed in wind storms when we forgot to close them.

My sister lost an entire 8 person table that way
by ravenium  (2024-04-17 17:33:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The amount of force an umbrella can generate in wind is far greater than tempered glass can withstand...or so I hear.

I second having the cover on them in winter too - just be prepared as bugs like to hide in there.

Tuuci is great but expensive *
by thedeadguy  (2024-04-17 16:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We bought this and it works well
by OrangeJubilee  (2024-04-16 21:45:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very high winds we will pull it down but overall very sturdy and flexible.

We've been happy with Purple Leaf
by ravenium  (2024-04-16 18:16:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The LED lights are a nice touch on a warm summer night. I put a dent in it by not finding all the tape when I unpacked it, but it's held up.

Put sand in the base, and fold it up in high winds.

We got ours at Costco last spring
by Shifty  (2024-04-16 16:33:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has held up nicely. We weighted it down with sand and water. It does not move. The base is in four parts, so if we MUST move it, we can.

It opens easily, and can be rotated and tiled depending on the position of the sun and the need at the time.

It has a solar panel at the top that powers some LED lights that provide sufficient ambiance for evening meals.

I also purchased a cover for it so I didn't have to bring it indoors for the winter.

I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping. I picked it up at the Costco Warehouse myself. I am happy with the purchase.

Ah the triangle...
by Wooderson  (2024-04-16 21:39:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Easy to move, easy to assemble, isn't going to blow down on you.

Pick two.

We have one with the wheels, and it has tipping points.

We went with cheap-o HD joints, one for the porch table that doesn't fly off but doesn't move, one by the kiddie pool that does fly off, and one crappy Myrtle Beach quality umbrella for shits and giggles and $5.

One of my wife and I's fondest memories is when we were at Coney Island, and she bid me look 180 degrees from the direction I was walking, at a roller coast she hadn't seen before (New Thunderbolt, I think, the orange one).

Well, she was 2 feet away, and not even 90 degrees off said axis. And we'd just purchased a new beach umbrella! ... that was longer than two feet.

Well, physics remains undefeated, and she dropped like a sack of potatoes in full view of about 100 people as the tip of the umbrella caught the side of her face. If she hadn't told me to "turn around, quick!" I wouldn't have had to get her ice for the long F/6 ride home.

She laughs about it still 10 years later. Mostly because a homeless black guy said "YO YOU HIT YOUR WIFE!". Like I said, a LOT of people saw it.

Then there is this story from Virginia Beach in 2016
by Barrister  (2024-04-17 16:11:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of a woman killed by a beach umbrella which caused "penetrating blunt force chest trauma" - she was impaled.

Sounds like the first two legs of the triangle worked.
by Wooderson  (2024-04-18 08:52:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So the 3rd leg reared its head.

Or point...

This is a place where I went cheap and bought at Home Depot.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-16 16:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Squirrels gnaw on my outdoor furniture so I bought a cheap one at HD with a cover at 1/5 the cost of the ones at Costco, figuring I may have to replace it annually. It's lasted for 5+ years!

"...some LED lights that provide sufficient ambiance..."
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-16 16:47:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were at an Airbnb last year that had one of those umbrellas and having those lights around the edge really makes a difference in the early evening and beyond.