I liked "Project Hail Mary" - the audiobook
by mkovac (2024-04-16 16:35:14)
Edited on 2024-04-16 16:37:46

I have the actual book, but laid it down about 30 pages into it.

I checked out the audio book from our local library and liked it very much.

Definitely "hard" science fiction.

I am not going to give anything away.

But I will say this...

Slightly OT: I just finished War and Peace (Audiobook)
by Shifty  (2024-04-17 15:13:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really enjoyed the story. I decided to not worry too much at the start about who was who too closely. As the narrative unfolded it was not difficult to keep track of the main character and most of the secondary ones as well.

The most enjoyable aspect for me was Tolstoy's asides as he commented on history, power, violence, and other forces that swept up the characters and determined their fates. He was quite witty. I looked forward to these digressions.

The audiobook was in two parts, each about 30 hours long, and narrated (well, I might add) by Neville Johnson.

I always wonder if the audiobook is somehow 'cheating' over actually reading the book. Oh well.

Next I'll watch the movie(s) as directed by Sergei Bondarchuk. Also long! I don't know if I'll watch the one with Audrey Hepburn as Natasha, or the more recent BBC production.

I re-read War and Peace last year.
by Bobby OShea  (2024-04-18 11:42:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have to say, it was not easy.
Most of my reading is 30-60 mins a night, in bed.

I enjoyed it (a hell of a lot more than the first time I read it 40 years ago for AP English class), but it was almost a burden to finish it.

You know, Tolstoy used to write in the village square
by Cartwright  (2024-04-17 17:04:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The faces inspired him.

You know, the original title was War, What is it Good For. *
by socal_doubledomer74  (2024-04-17 18:03:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely nothin'
by Lloyd braun  (2024-04-17 20:43:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Say it again, y'all

He didn't need any inspiration - God spoke through his pen *
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-17 17:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it was fantastic as well.
by hepcat  (2024-04-16 17:11:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It goes a bit too hard into the science sometimes for me whereas The Martian walked a finer line I thought.

Loved the book
by catripledomer  (2024-04-16 17:59:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Loved the science. Very fun and though-provoking.

I'm curious about the movie adaptation.
by mkovac  (2024-04-16 17:36:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very curious.

Not having read "The Martian," and having watched the movie adaptation, I didn't have the book to compare to the movie. In the book, I imagine that the main character in "The Martian" engaged in a lot of thought and "self-talk."

I know that this is the case in the audio book version of "Project Hail Mary," and that Hollywood likes action, not watching a character engage in thinking or "self-talk." On the basis of that, the movie will have to forego a lot of that and action will be paramount.

So, we'll see. I am anxiously awaiting the movie.

I hope it does the book justice.

I’m certainly no engineer, but I made it through
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-16 17:53:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“The Martian” with no problems and really enjoyed it. There was a lot of self-talk that was science/engineering, but nothing I felt I was slogging through. If I remember correctly, the biggest change was the ending, but it’s been since before the film was released that I read the novel.

I haven’t made it to his second book yet.

I think you might like it. I recommend the audio book.
by mkovac  (2024-04-16 20:01:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you can check out the audio book from your local library, I think you will agree with me that, at some point in it, you will see why I am recommending it over the actual book.

mk